Fire alarms and pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

md2002

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2011
United States
This could just be a coincidence but since I've got my pellet stove my fire alarm has gone off twice in the middle of the night. I run down stairs and everything is fine. This happened this morning, it was a warm morning and the temp where the fire alarm is was 77 degrees! I'm just curious if this happens to other people. I don't think it's normal and it may just be the fire alarm is on it's way out but I thought I would ask.

I searched on line and there were a few people with the same model fire alarm that have complained of false alarms so it may just be a coincidence that I started getting false alarms the same time I got my stove. These are hardwired alarms that are all tied together. They use ionization sensors if that means anything.

Thanks

It is detecting trace amounts of smoke. Check the vent pipe, make sure it is tight and joints sealed. Is you door gasket in good condition?

I don't think the detector is the problem, it is doing it's job.

Tom C.

silverfox103 said:
It is detecting trace amounts of smoke. Check the vent pipe, make sure it is tight and joints sealed. Is you door gasket in good condition?

I don't think the detector is the problem, it is doing it's job.

Tom C.

Will do.... The stove is new so I'm assuming the door gasket is in good shape. Since it was professionally installed, in January, I will be calling the installers and asking them to come out and take a look.

VTrider said:
You should also have a carbon monoxide detector installed nearby as well, especially in light of your circumstances.

I do.... 3 of them. I thought it was the CO detector went it went off but turned out it was the fire alarm.

When is the last time you vacuumed out the smoke alarm? Sometimes dust and/or insects get in and trip the detector, and unless you clean it, it may keep happening.

As an aside, the newer dual sensor units (ionization + optical) are really nice, and - if I understand the research correctly - respond quicker overall. I just wish Kidde made dual sensor smoke + CO.

Your firebox is a negative pressure enviroment. If your door gasket was bad. No smoke would spill out. It would suck air in. The exhaust is the only.positive pressure point on the unit. If its leaking. Its at the back of the stove (adapter) or another joint in the vent system.

X2 on new Smoke detectors. Better technology and faster reaction times.

But.........
Is the stove on a thermostat? Does it shut down and start back up by the stat? If the stove shuts down, and the combustion fan cycles off, then there is no negative pressure and any smoldering pellets can off gas, smoke leaking out any open air passage.

save$ said:
But.........
Is the stove on a thermostat? Does it shut down and start back up by the stat? If the stove shuts down, and the combustion fan cycles off, then there is no negative pressure and any smoldering pellets can off gas, smoke leaking out any open air passage.

This also means you don't have any natural draft in your vent system.

If it were happening to me I would first check for smoke on start up. Use a flashlight and check your vent seams and stove adapter for smoke. If you don't see any I would replace the smoke alarm in question. That is a good place to start.

The new smoke alarms are very sensitive. Dust and even high humility can set them off. I have issues with false alarms in the spring time with mine, especially if I sleep with the windows open.

I do not have a thermostat and I just bought this house. When they inspected the fire alarms the fire dept. told me they were very good alarms, top of the line. Which is kind of why I asked the question. I thought maybe this was happening to other people but it doesn't seem like it is. I will snoop around and see what I can find.

At burn in, my smoke alarm went off with no visible smoke, they do work.

Is the smoke alarm battery operated or direct wired? If battery only, you may want to change the battery as it could be getting low and actually setting of the alarm as a warning your battery is low. Some alarms operate this way.

Md2002 said:
slls said:
At burn in, my smoke alarm went off with no visible smoke, they do work.

What do you mean "at burn in"?

Paint will leave an odder when curing when running the stove for the first time and a little bit every time you go up another heat level. Then there are stove parts may be covered in light oil to prevent rusting during shipping. That to my be burning off. So what you do is open a window and crank the mother up and let it rip for an hour or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.