Fire and an Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HouseCrusher

Feb 26, 2010
binghamton, ny
So ive had a bunch of litttle fires to cure the finish on my stove and break it in. Started off kinda small and have been adding more wood. Kinda just playing and getting used to starting a fire in the stove. I had a bunch of them so far. My wife keeps asking if i really need to have all these fires to break it in. I just tell her that iam doin what the manual says, as i go out the door to get some more wood. So it was kinda chilly one night in the house cause i left the windows open all day on accident. Started another break in fire. Got a nice bed of coals after a whille. Then i packed the box right full. The splits lit off right away. Stove top temp got up to 600 or so. Then i closed the air to about half. A while after that i shut the air right down. I couldent belive what happend next. The wood stoped burning and then the top of the fire box went all crazy like. Flames were just burning up top and the wood was just sittin there. Pretty cool. Stove puts out a ton of heat. Its goin to be a warm winter i think. Inside anyway.

HouseCrusher said:
So it was kinda chilly one night in the house cause i left the windows open all day on accident.

Do you HONESTLY expect any of us to believe that?????? ;-)

I know were only burning wood here but theres got to be some technology in these stoves. It's cool to look at my chimney and see zero smoke. I did make a video. I've got to post it to YouTube and put the link up on here.

I know were only burning wood here but theres got to be some technology in these stoves. It's cool to look at my chimney and see zero oke. I did make a video. I've got to post it to YouTube and put the link up on here.

Welcome to the wonder of secondary combustion . . . gotta love the lightshow . . . the Northern Lights, BBQ Gas Jets and The Bowels of Hell Effects. Only thing better than the lightshow is the heat that the Oslo pours out . . .

Still haven't lit my stove . . . but seeing my wife huddled under a blanket on the couch this morning almost made me think about starting a fire . . . but I had to go to work, she had to go to bed and it is way too soon for a fire.

I'm hoping the forecast holds out, 71 high on Friday, thursday night 50 (little warmer the normal for me to start the stove but. . )- I'm hoping to get my summer dust collection on the stove burned off. I'm off work but the wife's not so good time to smell up the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.