Fire at the NEWP plant in Jaffery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pallets of pellets stored outside in that video. No different than TSC, HD, Lowes, Agway etc.

richkorn said:
Pallets of pellets stored outside in that video. No different than TSC, HD, Lowes, Agway etc.

Those poor pellets, they're probly completely junk by now. :lol:
I can't seem to get on the don't buy outside pellets bandwagon.

smoke show said:
richkorn said:

NO PLANTS HAVE ROOM TO STORE PELLETS INSIDE! NONE!

smoke show said:
richkorn said:

IF they are wrapped well they are as good as indoors

mascoma said:
smoke show said:
richkorn said:

NO PLANTS HAVE ROOM TO STORE PELLETS INSIDE! NONE!

Eric Kinsman says ProPellet does. 100% all indoors. Delivered in covered wagons even.

After hearing both sides to this story. I guess I would only be leery if the outer wrap has visible damage. I am going to ask a mill contact to do a little experimenting for us. I suggest he check moisture of the pellets right at the bagging station. Then let that pallet sit outside for some time(nicely wrapped of coarse). Open them up and do another moisture test. Be nice to see actual increase, "if" there is any.

Sometimes we must be our own mythbusters!

Wonder if they got any klinkers :)

FyreBug said:
Wonder how much ashes they have to truck away :)

so I wonder if NEWP will be showing up at Building19, ocean state job lot, big lots, after the insurance co. settles with them.....

rowerwet said:
so I wonder if NEWP will be showing up at Building19, ocean state job lot, big lots, after the insurance co. settles with them.....

Maybe like these Pennington's Nature's Heat that were in Walmart's dumpster last year in Hudson NH. I managed to get 4 good bags. LOL !!

The manager said he did not want to take a chance with this ton of Nature’s Heat so he told his associate to dump it!

1st pic is Walmart’s Dumpster!!!

Attachments

• FreeHeat 010SC.jpg
    FreeHeat 010SC.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 278
  • FreeHeat 030sc.jpg
    FreeHeat 030sc.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 277
  • WalmartNaturesHeatBeatablePricesSC.jpg
    WalmartNaturesHeatBeatablePricesSC.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 286
My mill contact was way ahead of my little test(see below)!

j-takeman said:
I am going to ask a mill contact to do a little experimenting for us. I suggest he check moisture of the pellets right at the bagging station. Then let that pallet sit outside for some time(nicely wrapped of coarse). Open them up and do another moisture test. Be nice to see actual increase, "if" there is any.

Sometimes we must be our own mythbusters!

Will keep him anonymous. He has already done this for a long time. Here are some bits of the PM.

As long as the cover was intact, there was no significant change in moisture. I’ve tested pellets left on a counter too and they don’t absorb atmospheric moisture. But, if I grind them up first (dust) and leave them on the counter, then they will absorb some.

The problem at the stores isn’t that they store them outside. It’s that the kids driving their forklifts are inexperienced and they tend to smash open the pallets.

The pellets don’t absorb moisture from the air, they have to be physically in contact with the water.

I have a ripped open pallet of pellets that’s been outside since May. I took a sample from one of the wet, ripped bags - a worst case scenario. I reached in the bag and got a hand full of pellets from directly behind the wet mush that were still intact. They tested out at 7.19% moisture (up from the original 5.8% an increase of 1.4%). So they’ll still burn fine but I wouldn’t recommend buying ripped open pallets.

Interesting and hope it helps the outside storage argument.

I don't know about y-all. But I have found a few bags here and there that did get wet. I scooped of the damaged/swelled pellets and dumped the rest in the stove. I really didn't notice much difference in them. Seemed to burn and throw heat. I used to get them for free, So as long as half the bag seemed untouched. I would gladly take it of there hands.

Our buddy Don had a post on some where he dumpster dove to get em! Thats a pellet pig there! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.