Fire Box Caving In?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annevar

Jan 15, 2009
NY
I own a Hearthstone 2 by Hearthstone. I love it because the soapstone retains the heat and makes it easy to start up. We've decided to use it all the time to heat our house. We did buy it used but had no problems with it last year. This year I noticed the top of the firebox sagging. I took a picture of it. I don't think we run it that hot but before we go to bed we usually do fill it with wood. Could this have been the problem? I would appreciate any advice. My husband is thinking about taking it apart this summer and banging the metal back into shape. I'm afraid we are going to have this problem every year. It also is dropping this stuff that looks like very red clay from the top now.

Attachments

• firebox.jpg
    firebox.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 398
Rust. I believe that the baffle plate is steel on that stove and is corroding out on you. There was a thread on this site where a guy replaced the entire steel inside due to this rust out. When a thick plate of steel rusts all the way through it will drop chunks of oxidized steel that look like clay and are red. Should be flakey too.

Time for a new stove.

Hearthstone built the Hearthstone II model from 1981-1988, so the top plate in your stove is somewhere between 20 and 27 years old. I would suspect that banging it back into shape won't be on the menu by now: call your local Hearthstone dealer and see if a replacement part is available. You'll find a dealer locator on Hearthstone's home page at http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/ (top of the page in pale gray).

Is that model an EPA phase I or II stove? Or does it have a Cat? If it doesn't have either you might want to have the hubby read up on installing a secondary air system on it this summer, take out the whole baffle plate and redo it. Just a thought if he is the type that likes to weld and tinker with stuff.

Thank you so much for your info! We ordered a new baffle, which beats paying for a whole new stove. Since he's a coppersmith this should be right up his alley! Definitely going to search the site for the other guy who replaced his.

Status
Not open for further replies.