Fire Box Repair Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2025orbust

Jan 9, 2007
Washington, DC
Hi All, I have been lurking around the forums here and see that it is full of knowledgeable and helpful peeps, so I thought I'd post my question. Here goes:

I have an old house, built in 1922. I've lived here for 3 years but have never used the fireplace. I had a chimney cleaner and inspector come out and do their thing. He gave my chimney a clear bull of health, except that there are some cracks at the seam where the fire box meets the house. These cracks are small, but perhaps smoke and heat could get in the crack and wreak it's havoc. He said I could have fires now if I wanted, but it should be fixed. He said they could fix it for $350.00 USD by using a hi-temp sealant. I think I could just buy the product myself and do it myself, saving all sorts of money. These cracks are small in most areas, but are larger in others. In fact, in some areas, it just looks like it has always been that way, or it has for a long time. I'm looking for ideas/ products to use to fix this.

dsc00545ph7.jpg

dsc00551bc3.jpg

dsc00553xs8.jpg

I'll also attach a picture of the hearth itself. The previous owners of the house tried to wash off the blackened area and made a mess of it. I'm think of painting the brick. Any thoughts?

dsc00562yk2.jpg

2025orbust said:
Hi All, I have been lurking around the forums here and see that it is full of knowledgeable and helpful peeps, so I thought I'd post my question. Here goes:

I have an old house, built in 1922. I've lived here for 3 years but have never used the fireplace. I had a chimney cleaner and inspector come out and do their thing. He gave my chimney a clear bull of health, except that there are some cracks at the seam where the fire box meets the house. These cracks are small, but perhaps smoke and heat could get in the crack and wreak it's havoc. He said I could have fires now if I wanted, but it should be fixed. He said they could fix it for $350.00 USD by using a hi-temp sealant. I think I could just buy the product myself and do it myself, saving all sorts of money. These cracks are small in most areas, but are larger in others. In fact, in some areas, it just looks like it has always been that way, or it has for a long time. I'm looking for ideas/ products to use to fix this.

dsc00545ph7.jpg

dsc00551bc3.jpg

dsc00553xs8.jpg

I'll also attach a picture of the hearth itself. The previous owners of the house tried to wash off the blackened area and made a mess of it. I'm think of painting the brick. Any thoughts?

dsc00562yk2.jpg

I think you forgot to post a picture of the $350.00 worth of needed repairs ! I seen about $20. worth . :smirk:

That special high temp sealant, I would like to examine the directions and claims on that bottle they are using. This is a new one to me

If these same cleaners said your chimney is ok but told you it is ok to burn a cracked fire box. I think it is time for your own investigation

check out ths post
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/5753/

To me there is no magical fix. Repairs like that require v grooving out all loose mortar, with a grinder using a masonry wheel, putty knife . or screwdriver .
That's the hard part. Then purchase a caulking tube and gun and fill in your cleaned out cracks with refectory cement. Using a putty knife you can smooth off and remove any excess.
This is the way I would do it. Even if you bought, still better rent the grinder, you could repair it a lot better and more permanent, the right way, for under $100 ,in less than a few hours

Dusk mask and eye protection also needed

I live in Washington, DC currently.

I plan a trip to the hardware store this weekend to pick up the supplies and start the fix. One quick question, is the cement white or back? Can I color it? White would look odd all smeared around the entire box. I'm sure it will get blackened, but in the meantime, it seems like it would look unsightly.

Thanks a million for the help!!

2025, concerning the brick. Looks like someone etched the brick. But, also had burned again as evidenced from the "new" black chars in the corner. If you want to paint there's a product called brick-a-new (I think that's the name, check out the sponsers here) that is made expressly for this purpose. There are others on the market as well. Some folks have said they've used regular paint, but I'd advise against this.

Also, there are products designed to prevent those smoke spills from staining the surrounding brick in the future. Many hearth dealers have these available.

On the cement you use, don't worry about the color so much. Like you said, it's going to get black anyway. I'd be more focused on using the correct products and procedures. Besides, having a contrasting color will aide you to see your mend while in the repair process.

-Kevin

Thanks for info. on the paint. I agree, it looks like someone used somethng too abrasive to clean the brick, thus the damage and yet another contrast. Ugh. I think paint is the only thing that can fix it now. Plus, that tanish brick isnt exactly that good looking. Red brick would be worth more effort, IMO, but not the lighter colored stuff.

I actually already made the repair in the chimney. I bought two tubes of black Fireplace Mortar and went to town. In the visibkle area, it came out great. I gobbed it on further up where the gaps were greater. Apparently, it takes a fire of about 1200 degrees to cure the mortar, so I'm planning to get one going in the middle of next week.

I also bought a new sceen and toolset at homedepot. They were having quite a sale.

Thanks for all the help. The posts here pretty much saved me from spending $350 for 30 minutes of work and 6 bucks in supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.