Fire Brick Broken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
My wife called and said one of the four fire bricks was cracked, and now in two pieces. It now won't say in place. She asked should she run the stove without one brick. I said lets not. Told her to replace all four. I know there are different materials used for these. I'm assuming they all will work, Any reason they won't work and I should look for the exact ones I have?

What do you think about running without one of the bricks?

your stove only has 4 fire bricks?
Yes, the Oslo has only 4 bricks in the back, and they should all be in place.
You can pick up bricks at your local hearth shop, menards or Ace hardware often has them. As long as it's firebrick, it will be fine.

Replace.

Yep. Cost ya three bucks or so.

The place I am buying has a Quadrafire stove. There are 20 or so bricks on the floor and walls. 4 or 5 of them are cracked or broken. I know the previous owner fired it with broken bricks, probably didn't even know. Can you fire the stove with a broken brick? Probably. But its not the right thing to do and I'll be giving the stove at this place a complete cleanout and replace bricks before I fire. Tractor Supply Company also has firebricks, and I am told you can cut them with a tile saw if you can't find the exact size you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.