1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Fire Brick Crack - Problem?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ArsenalDon, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    My new Quadra-fire Isle Royale has it's 1st small crack in a fire brick...should I worry?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    If it is new have the dealer replace it. It should not affect anything but should be under warranty. If you are in a pinch you could use furnace cement to hold it together.
  3. jwoair23

jwoair23 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It won't harm anything at all, the only reason to replace it would be if a chunk falls off or if it just bothers you. If it was me, and it was bothering me, I would just go to Tractor Supply and buy one brick for $3. Problem solved! :)
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Fugitaboutit. A crack ain't gonna hurt a thing.

Note: The pumic style bricks were used intentionally on these unit. These are not the same bricks that Tractor Supply carries. YMMV.
    BrowningBAR likes this.
  5. jwoair23

jwoair23 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the callout Jags, didn't realize they were different! ;em
  6. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Oh - no reason for the blush. This has been a hot topic for many threads (and heated discussions). But it is FACT that the pumice style and the clay style (for lack of better terminology) have different properties for heat absorption and reflective (heat) qualities.

Edit: my suggestion for brick replacements - use the same style that the MFG. used.
  7. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    One of the side ones in mine is cracked. It's a perfect crack...almost looks like two bricks by design. If the other side wasn't a single brick, I'd probably have never noticed. Kinda hard to not bang em around from time to time when trying to maximize the amount of one you're squeezing in there. Can't really imagine it making much difference.