Fire Brick Crack - Problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArsenalDon

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2012
Meadow Valley, CA
My new Quadra-fire Isle Royale has it's 1st small crack in a fire brick...should I worry?

It won't harm anything at all, the only reason to replace it would be if a chunk falls off or if it just bothers you. If it was me, and it was bothering me, I would just go to Tractor Supply and buy one brick for $3. Problem solved! :)

Fugitaboutit. A crack ain't gonna hurt a thing.

Note: The pumic style bricks were used intentionally on these unit. These are not the same bricks that Tractor Supply carries. YMMV.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
Fugitaboutit. A crack ain't gonna hurt a thing.

Note: The pumic style bricks were used intentionally on these unit. These are not the same bricks that Tractor Supply carries. YMMV.

Thanks for the callout Jags, didn't realize they were different! ;em

Thanks for the callout Jags, didn't realize they were different! ;em
Oh - no reason for the blush. This has been a hot topic for many threads (and heated discussions). But it is FACT that the pumice style and the clay style (for lack of better terminology) have different properties for heat absorption and reflective (heat) qualities.

Edit: my suggestion for brick replacements - use the same style that the MFG. used.

One of the side ones in mine is cracked. It's a perfect crack...almost looks like two bricks by design. If the other side wasn't a single brick, I'd probably have never noticed. Kinda hard to not bang em around from time to time when trying to maximize the amount of one you're squeezing in there. Can't really imagine it making much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.