fire bricks or compressed wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do many of you guys use them? What do you think of them and which ones do you use? We are thinking about working with a manufacturer http://ecobrick.net/ and package our fire starters with them. I wonder how big of a market there is for them?

By the way my name is Jim and we own fatwoodfirestarters.com where we sell fire starters log splitters and fire pits. We also decided to support the forum and spent a few thousand dollars on banners in the wood shed and gear. It any of you guys are in the market for any of this stuff please take a look at our site.

Thanks
Jim Sowder

Howdy, Jim.

Personally, I'd get into it big time if I had the equipment and facilities to handle and deliver them. A lot of the stove manufacturers have backed off on policies regarding their use. That's because the dang things work so well in their stoves. I'm seeing a lot of interest in them, even at the stove shops in my area. Price is a big issue, and availability is generally poor at the moment in many areas (though I have three types available to me here in Saratoga Springs, NY). I suspect that volume would cure that, there certainly is no shortage of sawdust in the world. I predict prices will come down to below $200/ton as more and more folks start to use them. If they ever get to $150/ton, I'll stop using cordwood altogether, except maybe in the fireplace.

BTW, do you offer samples of your product the way Thomas at Super Cedar does? I'd love to try some.

Thanks for the information.

On the starters the main product we have is fatwood which is of high grade and has large amounts of resin. Fatwood is 100% natural without the petroleum base wax that is in other starters. We usually only give sample to businesses but I will for people on this site who are interested in buying some but would like to try it first. The more people we can get to use these the less petroleum based stuff will be used. If you are interested buying some but would like a sample first please PM me with a address.

Welcome Jim,

I always try to support the sponsers of this forum, next time I need some firestarts, probably wont be for a while, I will most certainly hit you up.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.