Fire bricks...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim13

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2009
Central Vermont
Picked the coldest day of the winter so far to clean my stove! oh well, at least it will be done. I have a P61A and it has 3 fire bricks behind the burn pot. Noticed today as I was cleaning that one of the bricks is starting to get chipped and worn around the top edge, I imagine from when I pull it out for cleaning.

This got me thinking, when do I need to replace these? Will the few chips out of the edge cause any issue? How much are they to replace?

As always Thanks in advance!

Picked the coldest day of the winter so far to clean my stove! oh well, at least it will be done. I have a P61A and it has 3 fire bricks behind the burn pot. Noticed today as I was cleaning that one of the bricks is starting to get chipped and worn around the top edge, I imagine from when I pull it out for cleaning.

This got me thinking, when do I need to replace these? Will the few chips out of the edge cause any issue? How much are they to replace?

As always Thanks in advance!

Not to worry. Those chips aren't gonna hurt anything. If you're really worried, turn them around & over so the chips are against the rear wall & behind the retainer...Otherwise, go to your local hearth shop or masonry supply store & get three new ones. Cost will be less than $10 for your peace of mind...

Tractor Supply has them here. Probably a lot cheaper than a hearth shop.

Yep, seen em there as well. $2 something each.

I'd do what DAKSY said and flip em.

Cool, I didn't think I needed to worry but wanted to double check. At what point do I need to change them?

Status
Not open for further replies.