fire bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wlf89

Oct 16, 2010
middle TN
i am having trouble finding fire bricks for my king wood stove its probly around 25-30 yrs old and i am only able to find one place that sells them and they are 18 something apeice :mad: does anyone know where i can get some cheaper they are 10x4 3/4x 7/8. or is there anyway i can make me a mold and pour my own if so could someone tell me how i am pretty good at that kind of thing i just have never messed with high temp cement or anything. i seen some refractory cement would that work to make me some? thanks for the help.

I replaced the bricks in my insert last week. The original size is no longer available. I got 10 4 1/2 x 9's at tractor suppply for 2.99 a piece. Cut them with a brick hammer.

A fiber masonry blade for a circular saw also works for cutting them.

pen

kettensäge said:
I replaced the bricks in my insert last week. The original size is no longer available. I got 10 4 1/2 x 9's at tractor suppply for 2.99 a piece. Cut them with a brick hammer.
do you mean u cut one for the corner or what because the brick you bought are littler height and width.

I had to cut some both in length and width to cover the bottom of the firebox. There was no way to cover it using a pattern that didn't require cutting the new bricks.

Originally there were 6 equally sized bricks covering an 16x25 area. I now have 3 1/2 rows almost 3 bricks wide.

There is a bead of weld in the corner, between the bottom and the side wall. I cut the bricks a little short so they wouldn't rest on the weld. I figure the 1/4" gap there will fill with ash and not cause a problem.

kettensäge said:

The brick you bought at tractor supply what was the thickness? The bricks talked about above were an odd size, I never heard of them. We have the 4 1/2x9x1 1/4. these were always called a half brick by the supplier.

They carry them at Menards, boxed quantity of six 9x4.5" size, Vogelzang brand, $11.49 per box.

Status
Not open for further replies.