Fire Clay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beanscoot

Dec 30, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
I was given a bag of Fire Clay by a friend who told me that his late father used it to patch woodstoves. It is a fairly heavy powder that resembles cement powder. I am told it was mixed with water and used as a stove cement. Unfortunately it's just in a brown paper bag inside a plastic bag labeled "Fire Clay" so there's no instructions.

So is this "Stove Cement - just add water"? I am curious because I am repairing a Hearthstone II and need some stove cement.

Thanks for any insight.

Fire clay is just clay that is highly refractory. I have not use it as a stove cement, but have made a brick mortar from it for my kiln. I would go with something else for a stove cement. It's relatively cheap and I'd guess that the fire clay would crack etc and not adhere well by itself. It's better mixed with sand and used on bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.