Fire Exstingushers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
In the depths of another post I had a question about Fire extingushers. It was so far into the post I have forgotten the Valuable information contained therin. My question is this: I have one whole house woodstove hooked to ductwork and one freestanding stove in our den.....what type , size . and how many should I have.
Thanks....in advance for the help.
Mike

10 pound ABC rated. One by the front door, one by the back door minimum. One in the garage isn't a bad idea either. Do not put one of those pressurized suckers next to the hot stove.

You don't want them were the fire might be. You want them where you can get to them if there is a fire.

Sams Club and the like seem to have the best prices. For what you pay for an extinguisher from a fire supply its just plain prohibitive. Cost to get them recertified is more than buying new ones. Just keep an eye on the pressure and they are fine till they aren't anymore. I sort of keep em all over the place just in case but definitely near the stove and garage. That goes double with the garage. It stings to put out gas fires with your hands.

WTY $15-20 is that for the 10 pounders or the smaller ones?

Not sure. It is a Kidde model FX210W. The box says UL rated 2-A:10-B:C. Primary Use Home Fire Extinguisher. NFPA recommeded for primary protection. UL Listed. There was a "business use" version the same size and I think it was $25. Either that or this was $15 and the "business use" one was $20. Didn't pay much attention as it was one of many things in the shopping cart.

It's fairly large - though I'm not sure if it's a "10 pound." It does have a hose attached along with a clip that holds the hose to the body when not being used.

Wayne

BrotherBart is right on the money. Generally speaking, a 10 lbs. extinguisher is a great size to keep around. Put it somewhere that isyou can grab it in a hurry. By every exterior entrance door. It is also a great idea to keep a small "kitchen" type extinguisher near your stove or fireplace.
Remember that every 6 months to turn the extinguisher upside down. Bash it a few times with a rubber mallet, and shake it up real well. (This keep the dry chemical from clumping.) Also, be sure that they are properly charged, and inspected and taged. If the pins are missing replace them. Most Fire Depts. (at least in my area) will give you an inspection for free, or little charge. Most F.D.s would LOVE for you to bring them in to be looked at. Hope this helps.

Just get yourself one of these bad boys...

Seriously though. Being on a well I keep several around the house. One small one in both kitchens next to stove. Bigger one by the wood stove. I've actually been thinking of a full size unit (the size of the antique in the pic) to keep on hand.

Attachments

• extinguish2.jpg
    extinguish2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 328
Ted said:
I might add that you NEVER want to "test" the dry chemical type. Powder will cause the valve seal to leak propellant and eventually loose pressure.

And I can personally vouch for the fact that if you ever have to use one you will be cleaning that fine powder out of every nook, cranny and crevice in your house for a long, long time.

Better to get a 10 lb for most things. One big issue is to be able to find the thing and the little ones tend to hide. Bigger ones get momma all pissed off but priorities do differ. I like the water type as they recharge from an air compressor but just remember that stream of water does conduct electricity so you want to watch where you point that bad boy.
One weird word of warning with any of those extinguishers MOUNT THEM ON THE FLOOR OR VERY NEAR IT. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't watched it but I saw a guy get his toe chopped off by a fire extinguisher wall mounted 24" off the ground. It was only one of the water type pictured and all he did was brush it. He even laughed about it like the rest of us till he pulled off his shoe and it was wet. He was nearly crippled for around 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.