fire extinguishers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caber

Feb 6, 2008
Western Maryland
Who has them and how many? Seeing some threads on runaway stoves got me thinking about them.

We have 4 big ones. One by the front door, one in the kitchen (both within 20 feet of the stove), one at the top of the stairs, one in the upstairs play area. I got them from work when we shut down one of our buildings. I'm not particularly worried about a house fire due to the wood stove - I'd be more concerned about an open fireplace, actually. But they are reassuring to have located in strategic positions and they took a few dollars off our insurance payment.

SInce living in our house burning wood for 11 years I bought two of the larger model ones which are 7.2 lbs. One is under my bathroom sink and the other in setting on a counter top in the basement kitchen as we use a fireplace on main floor and wood stove in the basement.

It was basic advice from here to keep them not directly near the stove as if something should happen and fire starts there you might not be able to access it so keep them in a place on your why to where your biggest concern for fire might be.

I hope I never have to use them or anyone else here for that matter.

Seeing as we are snowed in it becomes particularly important that we can tackle any and all troubles. We practice good fire prevention but in the case of trouble we have 12 -10lb, 4 -5lb fire extinguishers. We have a ten pounder in each room plus outside and inside the generator shed the fuel shed etc. They are all in plain sight we do not have the problem of worrying about how they look its all about being able to get one right now. Besides extinguishers we have 5 water hose setups in main areas ready for use they are on a 500 gallon pressure tank system. I summer we have diesel fire pumps next to river waiting for possible forest fire. My wife and I have full firefighting outfits including air systems. We try to be ready for all emergencies.

snowtime said:
Seeing as we are snowed in it becomes particularly important that we can tackle any and all troubles. We practice good fire prevention but in the case of trouble we have 12 -10lb, 4 -5lb fire extinguishers. We have a ten pounder in each room plus outside and inside the generator shed the fuel shed etc. They are all in plain sight we do not have the problem of worrying about how they look its all about being able to get one right now. Besides extinguishers we have 5 water hose setups in main areas ready for use they are on a 500 gallon pressure tank system. I summer we have diesel fire pumps next to river waiting for possible forest fire. My wife and I have full firefighting outfits including air systems. We try to be ready for all emergencies.

Wow. You win the emergency prep award. Very nice setup - do you get a lot of forest fires there?

Does an extinguisher work for a flue fire if you can spray it in the clean-out door? I think that would cut off O2.

Yes, its just one of the issues with living in a forest with no possible outside help. We have watched many fires over the years and can say with some certainty that if you saw a big fire coming over the mountain one summer you would be motivated to do some serious fire prevention. I have done extensive research on whats necessary for our home and buildings to survive a big fire. Having a river 200' out the door helps and we have a great well. We implemented everything and feel quite good about our set up. I will leave the particulars out as its a long list.

I have one at the top of the stairs that lead to the insert room and another at the exterior door opening into the insert room.
Another smaller one in the kitchen but that one's not insert related.
Also have a big paper bag full of baking soda on the bookcase next to the insert.

Oh, oh, oh . . . I've got to reply to this thread since fire safety is "my thing" -- my reason for living (well at least the reason I get paid each week.) :) ;)

First, to answer the question . . . I've got four ABC fire extinguishers in the house. As mentioned by one poster it is important to place the detectors in easy-to-access locations that are close (but not too close) to the most likely areas where fire could occur (i.e. cooking fires are the number one cause of fire so a fire extinguisher is in my dining room closet).

Second . . . fire extinguishers are important, but even more important in my opinion is to practice and constantly think about fire prevention . . . followed very closely by working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

A few considerations before using a fire extinguisher on a fire.

1) Make sure you have the right type. In most cases this is a no-brainer since most folks have ABC dry powder extinguishers in their home -- although some folks may have bought a BC-rated dry powder fire extinguisher (typically these are marketed as "Kitchen" fire extinguishers and often may be white in color). A = Ordinary combustible materials (i.e. plastic, paper, wood), B = flammable liquids and gases (i.e. gasoline, oil, kerosene, etc.), C = energized electrical wiring or devices (i.e. TV, stove blower, toaster, etc.), D = Don't worry about it . . . combustible metals (i.e. magnesium, sodium -- very rarely seen by most folks outside of some specialized industry/military), K = commercial kitchen grease fires (again, don't worry about it -- basically this is for the large fryolator vats of grease . . . not you cooking at home with a pan of frenchfries or a Fry Daddy.)

To make things even easier just match up the pictures on your extinguisher . . . A = picture of trash can and a pile of wood on fire, B = gas can and pool of fuel on fire, C = electrical outlet on fire. If the picture is there and not crossed out you can use that extinguisher on that type of fire.

2) Before you even grab your fire extinguisher you should (or have someone) call 911 and get the FD on the way. It's always better to have to call us back and tell us you've put the fire out (we'll still come out to check things out) . . . but better this than to think you can handle the fire and don't want to make a scene, bother the firefighters, etc. and then be standing outside your burning home when you call us 10 minutes later while flames are consuming your living room, kitchen, etc. Time is the enemy when it comes to fire -- the faster we know about the fire the faster we can respond and mitigate any possible damage.

Besides calling 911 make sure everyone in the house is aware of the fire and on their way out to the meeting place.

3) Don't breathe in the smoke. Depending on what is on fire the products of combustion in the smoke can be quite hazardous . . . especially when you consider that a typical home has lots of plastic, carpeting, paint, household chemicals, etc. Sitting around a campfire and getting a charge of smoke in your face is not fun . . . getting a blast of smoke from a typical fire in a home just plain be dangerous to your health. If you can stay low and avoid breathing the smoke, use the extinguisher . . . if there is too much smoke to stay below the smoke layer, get out.

4) Finally, small extinguishers are like a Band-Aid (thank you Ron Coleman -- California Fire Marshal for that analogy) . . . they work great on a small fire, but for a large fire they're not going to cut it. If the fire is bigger than you, chances are you will not be able to put out the fire with that extinguisher . . . I mean, think about it . . . do you see pics of the firefighters in your hometown attempting to put out a house fire with a portable fire extinguisher or are they manning the biggest hose line they can find? :)

Start out 8-12 feet from the fire and remember PASS -- P = Pull the pin (typically held in place by a plastic clip -- this can be snapped off my making a twisting motion like turning a key in a lock), A = Aim at the base of the fire, S = Squeeze the handle and S = Sweep back and forth side to side, approaching the fire slowly as the flames decrease.

You get one shot at putting out a fire with an extinguisher. If the fire doesn't get put out, you need to get out. By the time you go and grab that extinguisher you have stored in your upstairs closet and get back chances are the fire will be as big if not bigger than it was before.

Finally, remember to replace that extinguisher . . . most extinguishers today are designed for one-time use. In some cases you can recharge them, but typically it's an expensive proposition to do so.

I have three Kidde 10 pounders I got from a big box store about 2 years ago.
Thing is one of them needs recharging per the gauge.
I've had other extinguishers too that lose pressure.
What's the story on this leakage?
The fire extinguisher place wants ~$30 bucks to recharge.
Thanks.

velvetfoot said:
I have three Kidde 10 pounders I got from a big box store about 2 years ago.
Thing is one of them needs recharging per the gauge.
I've had other extinguishers too that lose pressure.
What's the story on this leakage?
The fire extinguisher place wants ~$30 bucks to recharge.
Thanks.

Typical . . . especially for lower-end fire extinguishers. What often happens is there is an O-ring seal between the fire extinguisher cylinder and fire extinguisher head . . . over time (and especially in environs where there is a wide variation in temps -- i.e. an extinguisher left in a car or shed for example) the expansion and contraction of the metal/plastic/etc. can allow a small amount of the nitrogen gas to escape from the extinguisher.

It's funny you mention Kidde . . . I've got three of these that I picked up from Sam's Club a week ago when a customer bought them, got back home and discovered all three already needed recharging. Sam's Club donated them to us for use . . . or perhaps they will simply be recycled.

RE: Recharging. Typically recharging the extinguishers is a more expensive proposition than simply replacing them . . . especially if the extinguisher is 6-7 years old and needs a hydrostatic (pressure) test.

My advice . . . get the family together and fire off the extinguishers (outside) on a practice fire (or pretend fire) as a way of making sure everyone knows how to use them and what to expect. Depending on the charge you may end up getting nothing when you squeeze the handle . . . or you might get a half decent stream of powder .. . depends on the amount of gas left inside. Afterwards recycle the empty extinguisher and buy some new ones.

And Firefighterjake's Extinguisher Tip of the Day for the Average Homeowner: The powder in extinguishers compacts . . . much like baking soda left in its box will come out in chunks or one big rectangle if you haven't used it in some time . . . to make sure you have as much extinguishing agent come out when you need it the most every month or so when you check the extinguisher gauge tip the extinguisher upside down and gently rap the cylinder with the palm of your hand to "loosen" up the powder . . . then replace the extinguisher in its bracket.

firefighterjake said:
Typical . . . especially for lower-end fire extinguishers. What often happens is there is an O-ring seal between the fire extinguisher cylinder and fire extinguisher head . . . over time (and especially in environs where there is a wide variation in temps -- i.e. an extinguisher left in a car or shed for example) the expansion and contraction of the metal/plastic/etc. can allow a small amount of the nitrogen gas to escape from the extinguisher.

It's funny you mention Kidde . . . I've got three of these that I picked up from Sam's Club a week ago when a customer bought them, got back home and discovered all three already needed recharging. Sam's Club donated them to us for use . . . or perhaps they will simply be recycled.

What would be considered a good home fire extinguisher, and where would one purchase them? I understand that the application would be a variable here, but it sounds like the ones at the big box stores are junk. What's the point of a fire extinguisher if it doesn't work when you need it? Thanks!!

MMandm said:
firefighterjake said:

What would be considered a good home fire extinguisher, and where would one purchase them? I understand that the application would be a variable here, but it sounds like the ones at the big box stores are junk. What's the point of a fire extinguisher if it doesn't work when you need it? Thanks!!

If you're looking for just a plain Jane small fire extinguisher at a cheap price and don't mind throwing it away in a few years usually the Box Store extinguishers are OK . . . although it's interesting to see that there have been some issues with them holding their charge as of late.

If you're looking for a long-term investment and are willing to pony up some more money and go a bit bigger try checking in with your local welding supply stores or local fire extinguisher vendors (in the Yellow Pages) . . . these will cost you more, but you can get a larger sized one than is typically sold in the Box Stores and if you request it they can provide you with one that can be recharged (although if it does need to be recharged after 6-7 years it will also need to be pressure tested.)

2) Before you even grab your fire extinguisher you should (or have someone) call 911 and get the FD on the way. It’s always better to have to call us back and tell us you’ve put the fire out (we’ll still come out to check things out) . .

Having the FD check things out is always a good idea. I remember one run we had, the homeowner told the Asst. Chief (first responder) that the fire was out....then mentioned that there was a cracking sound in the wall. Yep! It was into the wall and attic.

While ABC extinguishers are rated for putting out solid material (BC extinguishers are not), typically they won't put out a whole of of solid material. An extinguisher rated 1A:10BC will only put out a solid material fire 1/10th the size of what it will handle for a grease fire. Maybe a waste can fire.

Particularly if you are in a rural area with slow FD response, a garden hose connected to an frost free faucet (basement?) is a lot more effective than a hand extinguisher. HOWEVER, for any fire larger than a small wastebasket, the smoke and fumes could be lethal (stay low, or better yet, fight it from outside!)

And always call the fire department!

Ken

I have 3. One in the kitchen (stoveroom, kitchen and dining area are all one big space), one in the laundry room, and one upstairs in my bedroom.

The one the the bedroom is easy to grab to help make a path out of the house if necessary.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.