Fire extinguishing bricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleB

Minister of Fire
Mar 4, 2014
NE Wisconsin
I hope this is the right place to ask...

Long time ago I overheard a guy describe a product, I think in brick form, that he kept by his stove/furnace to throw in if he had a problem and needed to extinguish the fire. He said his furnace blower went out once and everything started to overheat so he started by throwing in a couple bricks to smother the fire.

Does that ring a bell to anyone? I'm wondering if I should get a couple as insurance. If you know of such a product, any opinions on it? Any better than the fire extinguisher?

Yep. I keep a couple nearby as well.
What part of NE WI DoubleB? I'm a NE WI Cheesehead by birth and most of my life. Oh wait, I'm getting older, I guess I can't say most anymore, I've crossed that line.

I have the bag form. Good insurance if you have a chimney fire to get that thing smothered out.

I hope this is the right place to ask...

Long time ago I overheard a guy describe a product, I think in brick form, that he kept by his stove/furnace to throw in if he had a problem and needed to extinguish the fire. He said his furnace blower went out once and everything started to overheat so he started by throwing in a couple bricks to smother the fire.

Does that ring a bell to anyone? I'm wondering if I should get a couple as insurance. If you know of such a product, any opinions on it? Any better than the fire extinguisher?

If you need to quickly extinguish a runaway/chimney fire it's hard to beat a wet dish towel.

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the product and replies are targeted for chimney fires, which is of course good. Does it in fact extinguish the firebox too?

The instructions for the product say to light it, then toss it in. Why not just chuck the thing in? I'm thinking seconds matter. Anyone have experience with one in action?

Bigg_Redd, I might be missing it but what's the mechanism by which the effectiveness of a wet dish towel makes it's way up the chimney? Maybe the steam displaces oxygen? Or are you just talking about smothering the firebox?

highanddry, I'm rural just outside Appleton. Love the area, moved here a few yrs ago from southern WI. I'd say if you're born a Cheesehead, you still are one no matter the age or location! :)

As I understand it, it is a special flare. As it does its thing once ignited, it consumes the oxygen and will put out the firebox and / or a chimney fire.

Shy of a chimney fire, I wouldn't use it. If you need to put the fire out, so long as it isn't loaded to the gills you could always throw in cold ashes or sand to cover up what's burning. Or, if you know where your stove gets the air from (primary and secondary) then block those holes and kill the fire that way.

Really, needing to do this would be a rarity. I've never had reason to.

I'd say if you're born a Cheesehead, you still are one no matter the age or location!
That is a true statement. I think it's one of the inoculations they give you at birth. My first trip West was for the 84 Packer-Bronco game. Classic MNF snowstorm game.
Love that area, too. I was about 90 minutes north up in Door County. I get back regularly for pleasure/family/business. Be in Appleton in a month or so for another fire truck inspection.

Bigg_Redd, I might be missing it but what's the mechanism by which the effectiveness of a wet dish towel makes it's way up the chimney? Maybe the steam displaces oxygen? Or are you just talking about smothering the firebox?

Yes. It knocks down the fire in your stove - making it controllable - and the steam going up the chimney - being water - puts out the flames.

I agree i would not use one unless chimny is on fire. It must be lit not tossed in. Its basically a specially designed smoke bomb. After you light abd put it in you wabt to be sure to open the flue to get the smoke up abd extinguish it all.
Also best to call the fire department as well. Technology today they are happy to cone out with a heat canera and make sure you dont have any suprises.

It will extinugush a decent size fire. But i have also seen fires where 2 do not put it out. Edpecially when tge creisode was bad or fire got going too hot.

Dish towel - in 20 years as a vol firefighter never heard that one. I may have to give it a try just to see. But thats assuming the stove is going at a decent clip.

Thanks for the replies. Of course my main plan is of course to keep the chimney clean, but this idea seems like decent insurance.

Anyone hear of this or know if it's good?
http://www.meecomfg.com/FireEx/index.php

Supposedly you don't have to light it or do anything special for it to work. For the times that my wife is around to tend the fire, I'm interested in keeping all instructions exceedingly simple, such as "if you hear anything going wrong, throw this in the furnace". Any much more than that and she might start to tune out. Frankly, me too for that matter. When the adrenaline is pumping, relying upon extra steps and a methodical thought process is a risky bet.

Highanddry, holler out the window as you drive by to the plant. Glad you're able to make it back frequently.

Nope- never heard of it- but it probably is the same thing- as long as it works- with minimal cleanup/residue- I think your good either way. I'm sure you can find some reviews of the product just by looking at google. My biggest concern would be that it does not damage your stove. In a true emergency, you wont care- but if someone else uses it because the garage door opened and they got scared- and now your stove is damaged or requires a major cleaning... you get my point.

Thanks for the replies. Of course my main plan is of course to keep the chimney clean, but this idea seems like decent insurance.

Anyone hear of this or know if it's good?
http://www.meecomfg.com/FireEx/index.php

Supposedly you don't have to light it or do anything special for it to work. For the times that my wife is around to tend the fire, I'm interested in keeping all instructions exceedingly simple, such as "if you hear anything going wrong, throw this in the furnace". Any much more than that and she might start to tune out. Frankly, me too for that matter. When the adrenaline is pumping, relying upon extra steps and a methodical thought process is a risky bet.

Highanddry, holler out the window as you drive by to the plant. Glad you're able to make it back frequently.
I have the FireEx bags. They sound a lot easier. No experience using them and hope I don't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.