Q&A Fire from Chimney Sparks ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Craig- I'm building a recreational cabin in Oklahoma and plan to rely upon an old free standing fireplace for a significant amount of our heat. I'm a naive woodstove guy and have a major concern about starting a grass fire or a fire in the leaf mast around our cabin. How great of a risk is this and how can I mitigate this concern- can I install a special screen on top of the stove pipe or are their other methods to protect against this risk?

Answer:

I've not heard much about this type of fire- but it's surely possible. especially if you were to have a chimney fire. This is when all the creosote and tar in the chimney catches on fire. It can propel larger flaming pieces out the top of the chimney ! You're correct about the best solution. Install a chimney cap with 1/2 screening around the top of the pipe. You may have to clean the screen once in awhile- but the added safety will be worth the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.