Fire grate helpful?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bebop

Nov 13, 2014
My 1980's large Timberline double metal door freestanding wood stove had a grate next to it when I moved in. I never used one before. My wife built a fire with the grate and it seems harder to keep it burning without smoldering out.

Do you have any advice for me?

The grate doesn't seem necessary, but if it can be helpful and I just need to learn how to burn with it, maybe its a good idea. Thanks (I'm new, first post).

Normally grates are not advised for wood stoves. The smoldering issue may be the wood. If not fully seasoned it is going to need a lot more air to keep burning.

Try a fire without the grate, using the same wood. See what you like better. Then see what your wife likes better and totally disregard what you like better and do it her way.

Reactions: Alex C
My wife does the upkeep on the fire during the day when I'm at work, and she ended up taking it out after we talked. Seems like the grate is okay (not awesome) with nice dry wood. Its less hassle without the grate, but I didn't know if its helpful in ways we didn't see yet. Probably won't use it unless someone chimes in with a good reason to try it again.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.