fire habit changed suddenly in Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yaker57 said:
Thanks Fellers, my front air handle is very ruff going to the left.......

I seem to recall I used a 10mm socket to open up mine as mine was "jerky". Get yourself some powered graphic and puff that in there once you have it open and slide to both sides ntil you get a smooth slide. I puff powdered graphite in mine at the beginning of every season.

yaker57 said:
So when the ashes are covering the Doghouse area , does everyone attempt to uncover the air holes all the time , which makes no sense to me....how is the air supposed to get thru the ashes?

To each his own, but I rake the coals and ashes away from the doghouse with each load, ala "Tunnel of Love" method. I also make sure I don't load a split such that it could block off this area.

yaker57 said:
Also I have read about a Modification somebody did of the doghouse, Anybody know about where to find it? Thanks for all the info:)

You are talking about the European version of the doghouse which has 1 (or 2?) more air access holes. Some Jotul owners have reported on hearth.com that their stoves came with both versions (European and US) doghouse doors. Mine only came with the US version. I wouldn't go messing around modifying this yet as once modified the only way to go back is to purchase a new part from Jotul.

Just a point of clarity for me.....for those of y'all who say they are burning "hedge".....in your part of the country, does that mean Osage Orange, or bois d'arc? If so, that stuff must throw off one hell of a flame! Here in the South, "hedge" would mean Chinese privett, which is about good for nothing that I know of.

Shari said:
logger said:
Ya, but you mentioned the hole should be closed off from the dealer which isn't true as far as I understand. That hole should be open to allow air into the stove. The only reason to plug it fully or even partially would be to stop an overfire or maybe if one was experiencing major draft issues. I just didnt want this person closing it off like you said it should be.

Sorry to confuse the topic as I made two assumptions which apparently are wrong:

1. My assumption was that OP has a rear heat shield as most stoves are sold with this item. While I don't have one, as I recall the sample my dealer had on their floor model had a knockout plate or bolted plate in the OAK area.

2. I didn't want the OP to go messing around with the heat shields OAK access point.

Sorry to confuse the topic - just ignore me re: the OAK.

No worries.. everyones just trying their best to help one another ;)

I also use the tunnel of love, but usually just on light-ups. The tunnel seems to stay there throughout a bunch of loads. Now I'll have that Springstein song in my head all day (Tunnel of Love).

logger said:
Shari said:
webby3650 said:
On the Oslo the primary air enters the stove on the bottom, in the very back and center. There is a round hole, it's about 2.5" diameter, look around in there, make sure there is no lint ball or something in there.

I believe you are speaking about the OAK access point. OP did not say he has an OAK attached so this area should be closed off as it came from the dealer.

Plain n simple: Air itself enters the stove through the hole on bottom back... air then travels and enters the box area through the doghouse holes in front of stove just beyond the air lever control.

I just thought I'd add that I believe that air headed to the secondary burn tubes enters through this same 3" dia. hole.
At least it looked that way when I partially disassembled my stove during installation.
If someone knows differently I'd like to hear about it.

That is correct, the slot for secondary air is also fed by the intake hole. The heat baffles do not impact the intake on these stoves. I believe there are kits that can be installed to provide outside air to the intake, if one needs to have one. My house was built in 1795, so I already have plenty of outside air at my disposal.

Thanks again Guys for the insites:) I unbolted doghouse, lever was in correct between the nipples , the area under doghouse was full of ashes, now that could have happened a little when I took it off, but seems like way more than I had, so can it fill with ashes under the doghouse?

I also have 3 holes in my Oslo Doghouse:) I vacumes out all the ashes and Lubed the slide as was very ruff and that allows it to slick back n forth, Thanks again for the Tip:)

I laid DRY 2x4 splits back on the Doghouse with coals and 8mins later had to open the door , maybe a little longer and it would have Flamed on its own.....

What about a small fan blowing up into the Entry Air Hole at the Bottom, would that create any issues ? In other words , do it to create a start up force of air? Thanks Again:)

Ploughboy, Yes it is Hedge, Osage Orange, Super Hard wood and a Blast to Split by hand in the bitter cold with the Fiskar x25 Axe:) I thot everybody had it in the USA but Vey Thankful to have excess to plenty as the Famers hate it, the Gov planted it along fields in the Dustbowl days to keep the winds from ripping the top soil away .....now farmers are more interested in that extra 10 ft of land so ......some of them have th green warbled apples that cattle eat, some have the Nasty Long thorns on them but Yes for the Heat:)

Dealer in Missouri told me ...dont burn hedge in it....Oh Boy.....its like they are so scared you mite just get a good burn out of the Oslo:)

yaker57 said:
What about a small fan blowing up into the Entry Air Hole at the Bottom, would that create any issues ? In other words , do it to create a start up force of air? Thanks Again:)

Don't do it. These stoves aren't airtight and doing so may force carbon monoxide into the room. Stoves operate under a vacuum created by the hot flue.

Yake...yeah, I thought that was what y'all were referring to. I've worked Osage Orange some, lots of Native American implements were made of it and I've made some "Artifakes" out of it. The urge to plant Osage in hedges goes back even further than the dustbowl, as I understand it, even back to the initiation of the Homestead Act, as a way to fence cattle in lieu of expensive and hard to acquire barbed wire. I've also read accounts of some early streets in the Midwest using Osage blocks being used to pave streets.....it is that durable. You don't see it much around these parts, but in the Mid-Atlantic states you will, here and there.

Back in the day, there where No Trees here in Ks. They Harvested Stone to build the fences, corner post , that is one reason I started Carving Stone, was on those post, now they are a more pricey item to get , so have went to the Quarrys to get the Limestone to Carve My "Living Stone Carvings" Google or Face Book it:) Back when the Gov planted the Hedge, they planted 6 other types of trees, Very few of those Original left, they are Incredible rows of trees, great for all the games animals to live in and stop the erosion of the wind.....but a lot of what is left the the hedge tree because its the hardest on the chainsaw:) Red Elm is another but getting very rare to find, it has a red center and has the same BTUs that Hedge has...The Hedge I am cutting now is in the middle of fields, they get tired of them and hire outfits with Hydraulic Shears to come and lop them off and we get them after that before the farmer burns off the field and loose all the great wood:)

Status
Not open for further replies.