Fire has a psycological effect

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
It's 79 in my back room. My wife just claimed she is cold and added a odd cut of wood to the coals. When I asked why, "I'm cold and the fire was going down. I just got done eating frozen fruit."

I'm so happy I'm not paying for oil...

There's no way she could be cold...

Matt

The thermostat is set at 60, the house is at 72, and the new Avalon insert just topped out at 650 before I dampered it down. Everyone is happy....and warm. Niiiiiiice!

I experienced the same problem. Wife is cold at 77.

Even worse, we visit with friends that have no wood heat and their house at 70 feels really cold. You just want to go home. But then when they come to visit and sit in a nice chair in that room at 77 with a glass of borboun they get droopy eyes and awfully quiet in no time.

More heat at 70 F for my wife, Me they call me the a iceman on the boat. It starts getting cool to me in the 50s . So WE keep it hot when she is loading and a lot cooler when she is away. Needless to say when its in the hi 70s inside, the 10s outside, its just to hot for her and the layers start coming off it starts getting just right for US. Psychologically and emotionally...FIRE IS GOOD!!!

Aint that the truth.
Put on the fire diaper and hang next to the stove. 70? Brr.....

Highbeam said:
I experienced the same problem. Wife is cold at 77.

Even worse, we visit with friends that have no wood heat and their house at 70 feels really cold. You just want to go home. But then when they come to visit and sit in a nice chair in that room at 77 with a glass of borboun they get droopy eyes and awfully quiet in no time.

I agree. When we go visiting during the winter we almost freezee. We have to put on extra clothing to be able to stand it. However, it is nice when people come to visit us. Most are bundled up like they are going to sit in a deer blind instead of a comfy home. I like to make them sweat a bit before going home!

One of the best things about keeping the home really toasty warm in the winter is that you get to see a little more of the ladies instead of them all bundled up. See, we don't have to head south in the winter in order to see some skin!

OH YEAH!! It seems that there are very few places you can go in the winter (excepting wood heat homes) where you can be comfortable. One I like is Thanksgiving dinner (coming up soon!) Everyone comes over, the fire is burning, off come the sweaters and by the end of dinner, the windows are cracked open.
Let's not forget that slight smell that let's us know there is a woodstove here..... Bless us all, the season is here!!!!!

Would you believe we have some friends who heat 100% with wood, yet they about freeze in their own home! Certainly we about freeze when we go there. Hard to believe anyone would do that but they do. So when they come over, we usually put another log on the fire!!!! lol

backwoods, do you mean that they jsut dont burn hot or what>???

Status
Not open for further replies.