fire in heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitoak

Nov 6, 2013
Jefferson Co, WV
The oak that I am burning this year, some of it us a little green...when I reload in a bed of coals I have to leave the door open for a while to get it to catch good.....question is should I get a good fire on the whole load (this is what I usually do) or should I jus get it caught maybe a log or 2 then close the door then wotk the primary?..I feel like getting the whole load caught at once mitev decrase burn time...kinda worried about excessive smoking if the whole load is not caught with a smallish flame on the logs....any insight would be appreciated...thanks ahead....

If I know that my wood is greener than I like, I wait and toss 'em in on a good going fire.....just my opinion

The oak that I am burning this year, some of it us a little green...when I reload in a bed of coals I have to leave the door open for a while to get it to catch good.....question is should I get a good fire on the whole load (this is what I usually do) or should I jus get it caught maybe a log or 2 then close the door then wotk the primary?..I feel like getting the whole load caught at once mitev decrase burn time...kinda worried about excessive smoking if the whole load is not caught with a smallish flame on the logs....any insight would be appreciated...thanks ahead....
Running wet wood will decrease your burn times, period. But, when I ran a Heritage, and I had non-dry wood, I would work between your two concepts depending upon how not dry my wood was. Once it caught, I could still get the stove to the 500-600 degree range with the primary air closed, or nearly closed.

Good luck. Burning wet wood sucks. I know this well.

Status
Not open for further replies.