fire in the hole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
So after taking everyone's advice on burning off the adhesive on my exhaust. I cranked up up the stove to 9-9 and let rip.. the smell was certainly overpowering but the windows open helped. I noticed several times that the fire went up the auger tube. Now this englander works much differently than my Avalon. is this migration of the fire up the auger tube safe? is it normal?

o and after several hours of burning on high the smell remains..

Did you read the manual about how long you should burn on high?

Some stove manuals state that you should burn on the highest setting for only so long.

I would have shut the stove off if I saw the fire occurring in the auger tube, even though some stoves have dual augers which I believe yours does and this helps prevent burn back into the hopper.

You have to use some common sense and have read the manual.

If the smell is still there it should have diminished some over time if the piping got hot enough to burn it off.

Depending upon how much of the crud you started out with it could take a bit of time for it to completely burn off.

I read the manual.. imagine a used stove that included the manual. The issue happens on high low and medium. and as I said on my message I am not familiar with the dual auger system. That's why I am asking other fellow Englander owners to see if this is common. I scraped off about 90% of the adhesive its the remaining 10% that is giving me fits

I had not read your original post, but if you are looking to clean off adhesive, I would recommend Castrol Superclean (or its generic counterpart "Purple Power"). Its better than the citrus degreaser, but not as nasty as the other stuff suggested.

Ideally you'd want to soak it in the stuff, but you might get away with repeated applications, with a good amount of sitting time in between to let it soak in.

Use rubber gloves though. That stuff will suck all the oil out of your skin and dry out your hands really quick.

I've seen it at Lowes, but you can pick it up at most auto part stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.