Fire in vent pipe from bees nest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jieba

Feb 24, 2012
Southeast, Mass.
10620697_326807320841879_7198456924916969054_n.jpg 10410683_326807377508540_2313230507865044753_n.jpg

Reactions: Dosborn
See, I'm glad I ran my brush to the top of my chimney before I fired up the stove this fall at any rate! I must say, it's curious how the fire broke through both walls of the venting though if that is indeed pellet vent.

must have used b-vent (aluminum) piping
I thought the same thing because that's what it looks like, how it melted like that.. Hey, either way it's a great photo for newbies here to feast upon ( or anyone). Make sure you do it the right way guys !

almost looks like burned up rtv, the way its white and chalky looking. But either way that's scary and one hell of a good reason to check your vent before that first fire.

I'm confused, time to take a picture but no time to throw a pale of water or use the extinguisher?

Think I would have been manning the fire extinguisher or at least a wet towel...instead of a camera. Do appreciate the pics though, good lesson for all of us!

No comment.
Really, ya we are Massholes down here remember ( a favorite Maine term for us who vacation up their by some of your locals, even though we support your camps etc.)? And I'm not all that fond of some of us down here myself but people do stupid things everywhere. Last year the fire that was posted on here was a revamped farm house in Maine that was turned into a rooming house. Self install of a pellet furnace burned the place down. But you folks are bright enough to evacuate I guess, it was at night and nobody was killed, 23 people in the house. Let me ask you, what kind of a hole was the owner ?

Really, ya we are Massholes down here remember ? And I'm not all that fond of some of us down here myself but people do stupid things everywhere. Last year the fire that was posted on here was a revamped farm house in Maine that was turned into a rooming house. Self install of a pellet furnace burned the place down. But you folks are bright enough to evacuate I guess, it was at night and nobody was killed, 23 people in the house. Let me ask you, what kind of a hole was the owner ?

Exactly the same as the one down there in Massachusetts. I was no commenting because I get a ration from folks on here because I try to get them to go by the book and the LOL was because hoss stepped in it.

Exactly the same as the one down there in Massachusetts. I was no commenting because I get a ration from folks on here because I try to get them to go by the book and the LOL was because hoss stepped in it.
I checked like because that's what I hoped you would reply , LOL !

But if that was a fireman responding to the call that took the picture and did not do it through a running body cam, you folks have a problem that needs some attention.
Smokey there isn't a human living on earth who doesn't need some attention. In fact show me the one who thinks he doesn't and we can start right there.

Pays to plug them exhaust ends, and then check em in the fall when you pull the plug. I put masking tape on my thermostats that say exhaust is plugged, to remind me in the fall.

Mine was 'no comment' simply because thats 'B' water heater/gas appliance low temp vent, not Pellet/corn stainless lined vent. It was probably alreadfy perforated prior to the fire, thats meltel aluminumsheet, not galvanized steel. Bees or no bees, was a bad install.

Status
Not open for further replies.