Fire in vent pipe from bees nest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not my home, this was posted on facebook by the Charlton, Mass. fire dept. The homeowner didn't check the pipe before he started his pellet stove and this was the result.
I know a lot of firemen, and to a man there would be axe marks on the wall area around the thimble. We don't walk away without checking inside the wall. Maybe this was a training demo?

Went to the facebook page - fire filmed by the homeowners after they called 911, extinguished by homeowners prior to fire/rescue arrival. CaptSpiff, you're right, wall should have been opened to ensure no fire spread with rekindle potential - might have done that just didn't take a photo.

Hey, what did I do ??????????????

Riled them that's from away hoss. You can't easily hide from a quoted reply.

Went to the facebook page - fire filmed by the homeowners after they called 911, extinguished by homeowners prior to fire/rescue arrival. CaptSpiff, you're right, wall should have been opened to ensure no fire spread with rekindle potential - might have done that just didn't take a photo.

Stupid homeowners. I'm glad it wasn't taken by a fireman, as then Carlton Mass would have a problem that needs attention fast.

Hmm- save my house or post to social media.. I will choose to post to social media...this will get me a ton of "likes". Common sense isn't very common......

Ha I found 2 dead bats in my pellet vent one year. Good thing I always brush down before the first burn of the season.

Hmm, the smell of burnt honey...

I'm confused, time to take a picture but no time to throw a pale of water or use the extinguisher?

+1

I have a chimney cap at the top (insert), certainly squirrel-proof and bird-proof, hadn't thought about bee-proof.

Hey, what did I do ??????????????
Hmm, the smell of burnt honey...

+1

I have a chimney cap at the top (insert), certainly squirrel-proof and bird-proof, hadn't thought about bee-proof.
Oh I thought of bees, that's why I brushed mine out this fall before firing up. Nothing there, a little ash I didn't get in the spring is all. Funny though, even though my liner goes up 26 ft, soon as I open that bottom clean out I can hear the traffic going by out in the street through the pipe. And feel the draft going up too. So I knew it was clear but brushed anyway from the bottom up like I usually do.. When I clean the stove I can hear the traffic through it as well, soon as I open the combustion blower pathway hatch..

Evidently someone did :oops:.
Someone with nerves of steal ? I don't think so, my guess is they weren't home alone, one popped the picture the other extinguished the fire. Which apparently that part worked out in the end unlike some other unsafe installs..

Hmm- save my house or post to social media.. I will choose to post to social media...this will get me a ton of "likes". Common sense isn't very common......
Kinda like when yer kid is gittin' et by a tiger ...............

Someone with nerves of steal ? I don't think so, my guess is they weren't home alone, one popped the picture the other extinguished the fire. Which apparently that part worked out in the end unlike some other unsafe installs..

Nerves of steel are not required if you haven't a clue about what can happen.

I still vote for the the other application of venting that was pictured on here back some time ago, it too was made of the wrong stuff and had enough 90 degree elbows in it such that the cost of elbows likely exceeded the cost of the stove. The vent was being used as a radiator, they even had what might have been combustibles way to close to the vent. My site search ability seems to be not up to snuff today.

Nerves of steel are not required if you haven't a clue about what can happen.

I still vote for the the other application of venting that was pictured on here back some time ago, it too was made of the wrong stuff and had enough 90 degree elbows in it such that the cost of elbows likely exceeded the cost of the stove. The vent was being used as a radiator, they even had what might have been combustibles way to close to the vent. My site search ability seems to be not up to snuff today.
Busy day at the forum, we seem to have a few new posters today, maybe they are searching.. But ya, the incorrect vent is plain as day in that photo.

Good pics to warn of not only checking your venting but improper instal. I wonder though, how do you know it was a bees nest? Did it really survive that and still is identifiable?

Last edited:
Good picks to warn of not only checking your venting but improper instal. I wonder though, how do you know it was a bees nest? Did it really survive that and still is identifiable?
We don't know that, it's just what it said at the fire dept facebook page. To me even if it was a bees nest the fire never should have broken out through the outer wall of the venting. This indicates inferior for pellet use venting as has been mentioned throughout this thread.

We don't know that, it's just what it said at the fire dept facebook page. To me even if it was a bees nest the fire never should have broken out through the outer wall of the venting. This indicates inferior for pellet use venting as has been mentioned throughout this thread.
Not sure why your quoting me, I'm agreeing with everything you said.

Not sure why your quoting me, I'm agreeing with everything you said.
Oh, it's just as I'm doing now, I hit reply from your message. I wasn't arguing with you FWIW, just stating that what we seem to know comes from a facebook page is all. I wasn't very clear in my opening words . No offense intended ! And yes, they certainly are good pics for demonstration purposes.

I know a lot of firemen, and to a man there would be axe marks on the wall area around the thimble. We don't walk away without checking inside the wall. Maybe this was a training demo?
I thought of the training demo idea too, it has the stark ear markings of a photo we might have seen when I was on the safety committee for six years at work and had the fire dept in for an annual meeting on fire safety with teh employees.. But then going to the fire dept face book page I didn't think they would place a home owners outside photo of their house in the public forum and also not state that this is a demo only.. No it seems legit.

Wonder if any of the fire investigators noticed that it was the wrong vent...

After I called the local basement savers union I got out the sony handicam while my house was on fire in 03. Not a thing I could do about the fire in the house as I knew it had extended to the roof and could see fire in the basement windows. I burnt the tape couple years after so pissed at the failings of the depts. ability to even keep a pump running especially when they had teams inside that were bailing out the upstairs windows when couldn't get needed water:(

Damn. My worst fear. What was determined to have been the cause of the fire?

While it is tough to witness the loss of a house, would be a whole lot tougher to see the loss of life ... Volunteer or career dept? I try not to dwell on those types of images - hubby is 25 years in and our son is in year 2.

I narrowed it down to either a bad cheap clamp spot light falling into trash or spontaneous combustion of stain rags in trash from trying to do the framing of fancy doors to finish 3 year remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.