Fire it up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrodsky

Jan 19, 2006
Millbrook, NY
Weather stuck in the low 60s... kind of damp and chilly... YEA! IT'S WOODBURNING TIME!

Started up our first fire of the 2006 season using wood I cut and split last fall and stacked in my new woodshed this spring - looking good!

This has to be the nicest August in my 5 years living in NY, and certainly by far the most pleasant moderate weather I've seen anywhere for this time of year. Windows open every night lately.

I can even forgive the wet weekend since the rain even held off all afternoon for the Dutchess County Fair on Saturday and stopped long enough to let me finish up some land clearing this morning for a couple hours.

-Colin

Getting a little chilly here too. Five p.m. and ninety degrees.

Enjoy the fire.

Hey Colin,

I just noticed that your in Millbrook. Howdy neighbor. O.k....You, Kevin and I have got to go drop a tree or swap wood burning stories over a brew or two. We're in Hyde Park...

You really started your stove? WOW...My house is still holding at 75 on it's own. Basement is at 74.

If I started the stove...It would be 90 in here. I do understand...I'm sort of itching to get a fire going. I have to clean the chimney first. In Austin all next week...still in the 90's + there!!

Just dampish here is south central Penna - supposed to be a cold front move through this week - 70's most of the week with 50's at night. A welcome change - this is the first year I've looked forward to cold weather 'cause I've bought a pellet stove (yet to be installed) - going after pellets next week - hope 2 tons will do (supplemental).

I just finished building another rack for wood in the breezeway and should now be able to store 2 full cords there. Plan to stack this new one with nice, dry pine I got from my neighbor in the spring and use it when the first cold snap hits to take off the chill. Won't be too long here. Can't wait!

Warren said:
Hey Colin,

I just noticed that your in Millbrook. Howdy neighbor. O.k....You, Kevin and I have got to go drop a tree or swap wood burning stories over a brew or two. We're in Hyde Park...

You really started your stove? WOW...My house is still holding at 75 on it's own. Basement is at 74.

If I started the stove...It would be 90 in here. I do understand...I'm sort of itching to get a fire going. I have to clean the chimney first. In Austin all next week...still in the 90's + there!!

Yea, leaving the windows open all night got things pretty chilly and it sure isn't warming up today... also, this part of Dutchess always seems cooler compared to the valley. We're at 60 outside - probably won't add anymore splits to it now that the chill is gone!

I think we should drop a whole load of trees and take a road trip to Boston and/or the Cape for $300/cord with all the plentiful wod in this area :)

We have about 19 acres here all densely wooded and I'm slowly opening up 1 1/2 acres for future livestock. On a slightly unrelated topic, know anyone that runs a portable mill in the area? As I cut some of these trees, I'm thinking of getting a chainsaw mill to at least make posts for a goat barn and save on lumber. But would be nice to find someone with a woodmizer or similar portable operation to do wall planks and more. Not sure I could handle all that on a chainsaw mill...

-Colin

Warren said:
In Austin all next week...still in the 90's + there!!

PS - I went to grad school at UT-Austin - we had a house in southwest Austin and there my time was spent making things like solar screens and trying without success to grow some shade landscaping. Never once used my fireplace.

Probably the best place to live in TX by far, but my god that weather was awful - no change of seasons and way too hot for my liking. For a week though, it'll be fun! Take a drive out Loop 360 and RM 2222 west of MoPAC expwy if you've never been out there before - you'll be surprised TX has such hills. And "Mount Bonnell" at something like 800 feet high is nice. (don't laugh all you mountain folk... it's cool for the area...)

NY Soapstone said:
Weather stuck in the low 60s... kind of damp and chilly... YEA! IT'S WOODBURNING TIME!

Started up our first fire of the 2006 season using wood I cut and split last fall and stacked in my new woodshed this spring - looking good!

This has to be the nicest August in my 5 years living in NY, and certainly by far the most pleasant moderate weather I've seen anywhere for this time of year. Windows open every night lately.

I can even forgive the wet weekend since the rain even held off all afternoon for the Dutchess County Fair on Saturday and stopped long enough to let me finish up some land clearing this morning for a couple hours.

-Colin

Do you build a break-in fire before the season to rid the soapstone of any moisture? I have heard to build a small kindling fire and letting it go out before really lettin her rip.

NY Soapstone said:
Warren said:

PS - I went to grad school at UT-Austin - we had a house in southwest Austin and there my time was spent making things like solar screens and trying without success to grow some shade landscaping. Never once used my fireplace.

Probably the best place to live in TX by far, but my god that weather was awful - no change of seasons and way too hot for my liking. For a week though, it'll be fun! Take a drive out Loop 360 and RM 2222 west of MoPAC expwy if you've never been out there before - you'll be surprised TX has such hills. And "Mount Bonnell" at something like 800 feet high is nice. (don't laugh all you mountain folk... it's cool for the area...)

Texas hill country is beautifull. If were to ever move back to texas, it would be in the hills around austin.

Today was definatly a stove day for me, breezy mid 30's when i woke up, hasnt got out of the 50's yet. Overcast and cool. Its a one firebox day.

NY Soapstone said:
Warren said:

I think I'll take your advise, the place I'm going is about a mile from MoPAC. Pink buildings. I'm going there on business, and the actual reason for the trip is not a pleasant one. I'll need the R&R. Austin is great since it's seriously cheap to eat etc... (Gotta hit Rudy's while I'm there)

Sure sounds like you have the whole wood thing well in hand. 19 acres will keep you in wood for the rest of your life. Especially around here. Plenty of Oak, Maple, Elm (oh...did I ever mention how much elm is the bane of my existance?) Locust, Hickory, (about now, MSG is starting to wish he lived in NY) etc... But then again...Plenty of pine, sumac, poplar,and sasafras to waste your time with.

55F here in MA and the sun is going down...started my first of the season last night. Standing in the rain checking the flue smiling. My lady says it's nice to see the smile on my face when hauling the wood bag again :)

Wish the weathermen could get their days straight...last I saw the rain wasn't until tomorrow...never got my summer milky spore application on the lawn...the free watering would have been ideal! sigh

NY Soapstone said:
Warren said:
Hey Colin,

Yea, leaving the windows open all night got things pretty chilly and it sure isn't warming up today... also, this part of Dutchess always seems cooler compared to the valley. We're at 60 outside - probably won't add anymore splits to it now that the chill is gone!

I think we should drop a whole load of trees and take a road trip to Boston and/or the Cape for $300/cord with all the plentiful wod in this area :)

We have about 19 acres here all densely wooded and I'm slowly opening up 1 1/2 acres for future livestock. On a slightly unrelated topic, know anyone that runs a portable mill in the area? As I cut some of these trees, I'm thinking of getting a chainsaw mill to at least make posts for a goat barn and save on lumber. But would be nice to find someone with a woodmizer or similar portable operation to do wall planks and more. Not sure I could handle all that on a chainsaw mill...

-Colin

Ny Soapstone,

On the portable mill guys, check out woodmizer and some of the other sites online for people in your area with portable mills..Up north they will show up for around 1000 board ft..They even have attachments for making shingles, fence posts etc..sometimes they even have adds in the weekly local newspapers...many it is word of mouth..One of the tree services here has a big one that make landscaping timbers with might be a worthwhile phone call if nothing else pans out...

A couple weeks ago, I was helping a friend clear his lot for his house, recognized some walnut that had to be removed..We got about 6-8, 10 ft logs 12-16 inch diameter..am bringing them to a guy with a mill, lucked out he is not far to begin (4 miles) with but he is doing about 10,000 bft for a guy close to where the logs are..bring em, in late afternoon and a case a beer...that works!

Man, we are still in the 90's and the freakin humidity will kill me yet.

55 outside and raining like heck here.

Sandor said:
Man, we are still in the 90's and the freakin humidity will kill me yet.

Yep Sandor. Looks like we are headed for a traditional Virginia fall. Air conditioner will be running until the day we light off the stove.

At least we had a real Spring this year. Only the third one I remember here in the last ten of fifteen years. Most of them are stove one day, A/C the next.

I just checked...58 outside, 76 inside. Only heat is the kids about to blow the roof off and the dehumidifier which has been going round the clock for the past 2 days.

Went outside to split a few rounds while I drained the pool a bit. I think it's time to cover the pool. Temp is 68. No one is going to swim anymore. Split about 10 rounds of elm and a few smaller peices of maple.

I'm about a good month or two from lighting the stove. You guys are REALLY chomping at the bit. I can understand Kevin, but NYSOAPSTONE....you've been around a bit... Ummmm and I thought I was obsessed. :)

Perfect summer day here. Got to about 82 degrees, no humidity and a nice steady breeze. Good thing, we don't even have a hearth or a heating system in yet. Hope to get things rolling soon.

Warren said:
Hey Colin,

We got down to 73 yesterday. The wife asked for a fire and it delivered. Although I'm embarred to say I had to buy some wood at Stop and Shop, since I have yet to bring wood in from the outside and it got kind of damp this weekend. Very expensive on a cord basis. Cost $5 for .75 cubic foot bundle or $850 per cord... I was also limited in kindling. I think I didn't have a large enough bed of coals before I tossed the first log in. Had some trouble getting started. Kept adding kindling and it went OK. the rest of the logs had a good coal bed and went up nicely. Just did a log at a time. Played around with the primary air intake settings for the first time. Burned from about 4:30pm to 10pm using 6 logs going on one at a time. The first several logs had the primary air wide open. I also think I was leaving the door open too long. I imagine I could have extend the burn time if I had adjusted these better.

Temperature went to 82 in the main room with the stove. Bedrooms went from 73 to 77. Did run the central air fan for a bit to spread around the air.

NY Soapstone said:
Warren said:
Hey Colin,

-Colin

I'll have to ask my neighbor or builder. There were lots of tree on the lot next to us last year and some brought a portable mill by and cut them up into planks I believe. I'll let you know what I find.

Just looked at the long range forecast for my area (Western NY) looks like the first low at night of 50 degrees won’t happen until Sept 8th. :down:

Of course this is if you can believe that they can tell the weather accurately 11 days out. :)

Still about a month or so before the colder weather arrives. :)

Greg123 said:
Just looked at the long range forecast for my area (Western NY) looks like the first low at night of 50 degrees won’t happen until Sept 8th. :down:

Of course this is if you can believe that they can tell the weather accurately 11 days out. :)

You missed it...I was in Olean the weekend of the 11th and it was in the upper 40s when I got up Saturday morning (the 12th).

jabush said:
Greg123 said:

You missed it...I was in Olean the weekend of the 11th and it was in the upper 40s when I got up Saturday morning (the 12th).

Olean is in the south towns, Cattaraugus County area, it always gets cooler there this time of year.

But closer to the city of Buffalo and Lake Erie you have to wait longer :-/

Todd said:
NY Soapstone said:

-Colin

Do you build a break-in fire before the season to rid the soapstone of any moisture? I have heard to build a small kindling fire and letting it go out before really lettin her rip.

I did this when we first got the stove, and you could hear it sizzling quite a bit from the water coming out. However, this time, after its first year idle all summer, we didn't hear anything. That was even after having windows open a lot the past few weeks with plenty of exposure to humidity.

That being said, it was only a 450 degree surface temperature - we weren't running anywhere near maximum, and it was a fairly small batch of wood.

-Colin

hey guys, (neighbors)! Warren I'm in Hyde Park also, good to see local guys in here, thanks for all your posts and knowledge, I get alot from this site, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.