Fire photos please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pegdot

Nov 16, 2007
Upstate, SC
Could you guys post some photos of your stoves in action, please? I'm trying to determine if I have an air problem with mine and get the feed rate adjusted but the simple truth is that I haven't a clue what kind of flame I should be trying to achieve. Descriptions are great but they only go so far for someone like me who's never seen a pellet stove in action so, photos with the stove model and setting would be a huge help to me and any other newbies, I think.

Heck, I'm not even sure if the buildup I'm getting in my burn pot is normal or excessive so some shots of your pot, before you clean it out would be cool too!

I'm thinking that I need to shut mine down today and take it apart to look for some type of obstruction somewhere but that's a lot of work for nothing if the way it's buring is normal...... :-S

Okay, I tried to take some photos today but between the flame and the glare off the glass they didn't turn out to well.

The first photo is what my burn pot looks like after a little less than 24 hours use with the stove set to 5 for about 3 hours and on 2 the rest of the time. The stuff piles up towards the front of the pot and sort of forces all the flame to the back. I had to chisel soot off the tip of my auger today. The stove just doesn't seem to throw out as much heat when the pot looks like this. Is this normal?

The second photo is what it looks like about 15 minutes into the start up cycle.

The third & fourth shots are of it burning on 1-1 about 45 minutes after I started it.The flame is pretty inconsistant on that setting since I closed the shutter in the hopper to reduce the feed rate and turned down the low feed rate to 4 from 6 but it is using a lot less pellets now and still throwing out pretty good heat.

Does any of this look or sound wrong to you guys?

Attachments

• ash.jpg
    ash.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 840
  • startup.jpg
    startup.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 859
looks like you are getting a pretty good clinker formation there, as for the fire, stills dont really show much as its a snapshot and will be totally diferent every time, i think i hgave a few short video clips of that model burning i'll see if i can find one and post it on photobucket to link to, stay tuned , but it migt take a while

Moved photos three & four to a seperate post so we don't have to do the scrolly thing... :red:

Attachments

• 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 798
  • 1-1.2.jpg
    1-1.2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 773
Thanks, Mike! That would be great!

I actually called you the other day and while I was going through the phone system I thought about how difficult it was going to be for you to try to describe what the doggone flame should look like to me over the phone. (Thus this thread.) Good thing your extension was busy. LOL That would have been one of the dumber phone calls I've ever made! :)

Still need to talk to you about the control boad sensor wire though...would the insulation being chewed up/missing in spots cause the stove to burn like this?

pegdot said:
Thanks, Mike! That would be great!

I actually called you the other day and while I was going through the phone system I thought about how difficult it was going to be for you to try to describe what the doggone flame should look like to me over the phone. (Thus this thread.) Good thing your extension was busy. LOL That would have been one of the dumber phone calls I've ever made! :)

Still need to talk to you about the control boad sensor wire though...would the insulation being chewed up/missing in spots cause the stove to burn like this?

doubt it , but it can be checked as well, call me today if you get this. i'll be in the office sometime around 8:30 til about noon

Sorry Mike! I didn't see your message until shortly after noon. Left you my cell phone number. I'll try you again on Monday.

the picture quality is poor (damn camera phones) but here it is

Attachments

• 2e0a3e76e7fe.jpg
    2e0a3e76e7fe.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 643
  • 84ca9d4b29f8.jpg
    84ca9d4b29f8.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 628
Glad I'm not the only one who can't get around that glare.

Ah! Now we know, GVA......the dog does the stove adjusting for ya! te he

ImInTheWind said:
Been burning 24/7 for 7 days so far... We are loving it!

How many bags of pellets up to now? The flame is always like this? We just bought a Quadra 1200i and we expected to burn one bag a day but after 2 weeks it actually burn more than 1.5 bag a day. We are wondering is there anything wrong with our stove. We use lowest setting most of time but we burn 24/7 also.

lmei007 said:
ImInTheWind said:
Been burning 24/7 for 7 days so far... We are loving it!

How many bags of pellets up to now? The flame is always like this? We just bought a Quadra 1200i and we expected to burn one bag a day but after 2 weeks it actually burn more than 1.5 bag a day. We are wondering is there anything wrong with our stove. We use lowest setting most of time but we burn 24/7 also.

This is Day 8. We are on bag 10.

The room temp is set at 72, feed rate is 4.5, blower is medium and the ignitor is set manual.
The temps have been fairly mild... low 20's mid 40's. The flame varies nicely per the room temp sensor. I expect that when the mercury drops further, we will be closer to 1.5 to 2 bags per day to maintain the room temp setting. It does take some tweaking to find the sweet spots and the variables are ever changing.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

pegdot said:
Glad I'm not the only one who can't get around that glare.

Ah! Now we know, GVA......the dog does the stove adjusting for ya! te he
Dog what dog? that's me.........Now where's my squeaky toy? I know it bounced back here somewhere....:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.