fire pit help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got sick off buying 100 dollar pits from Lowes or home depot. I built my own. I cut the bottom third off a 55 gallon drum, and screwed 1 1/2 inch angle iron legs to it. Then drilled half inch holes every 2 inches over the whole thing. Already had the drum and angle iron, only had to buy screws.when the drum rusts out I will salvage the legs and get a new drum. This year I am upgrading it to nuts and bolts. The screws are getting loose but they held for a year and are still strong. I even have a grill attached to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20131027_170502_638.jpg
    IMG_20131027_170502_638.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 165
An old tractor tire rim? sand might work as an insulation in the bottom. Making the removal of unburnt 'items' easier, sifting thru the ashes. Whoever did the outdoor fireplace at Ram's house certainly had an eye for design. I know what my favorite room in that house would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.