Fire Pit Progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
So I dumped 10-12 wheelbarrows full of recycled stone into the keyhole. Used a dry line and mason's level to get it level. Tamped it. Next came the sand. Repeated the same process. Not too sure I used enough sand as it just covered the stone. We'll see how the pavers settle this week. I can always add more. Next came the pavers. Pretty straight forward here. Used a grinder to made cuts when needed. I need to dump and tamp sand to lock pavers in. More progress in the next week or two.
Fire Pit Progress 1.jpgFire Pit Progress 2.jpgFire Pit Progress 3.jpgFire Pit Progress 4.jpg

I put sand down beneath mine and in the cracks of the pavers. I didnt use a level or shoot for anything other than to look nice....

Its gonna look awesome. When you finally have a fire and get ashes, the level wont matter. Period.

Looks sweet....

pit1.jpg pit3.jpg pit4.jpg

looks great, what we have found out thru the years is, using #8 limestone prevents wash out and heaving under pavers. it is a little harder to screed but is alot more stable especially if it gets thicker because of sub base being uneven.

It looks great Stax, I think our fireplace floor will be just a combo of sand & gravel.

zap

A bit curious with the pavers . . . after a few fires do they break or crack apart from the heat or spall like concrete does in a fire?

Pithenge. Is it properly aligned to highlight/celebrate one or more periodic astronomical occurences? What about Feng Shui...did you bring in a consultant? These are all important considerations...I wouldn't build a fire pit without taking them into account in the design and orientation.

Sort of looks like the shape of my head;)
I was thinking that. Or a keyhole of some sorts.

What's the intent of the shape? Ok, figured it out. Fire box and seating arrangement.

I was thinking that. Or a keyhole of some sorts.

What's the intent of the shape? Ok, figured it out. Fire box and seating arrangement.

Most firepits cant have a fire when cooking (use coals). So you drag the coals into the keyhole area and keep a fire in the pit...

Its the Scotty Overkill edition. There is almost a half dozwn of us thaymt have made one after his design. All a little different. But keeping the same general idea (keyhole).

I think the shape is to suggest a portal to our world to those observing us from afar. The occasional fire serves to draw their attention. I'm sure they're mapping these as we build them, and carefully observing how we use them. One winter morning in the not too distant future, I expect those who have these firepits to all simultaneously report some unusual prints in the snow around these pits discovered upon waking...and perhaps having heard some unfamiliar sounds in the night. :rolleyes:

Reactions: tfdchief
I think "Firepit of the Gods" is more fitting. I don't believe it's a coincidence that so many of these uniquely shaped structures are appearing in yards around the world. I believe the very specific configuration is a result of irresistable subliminal suggestion from the alien beings who will soon use these as their gateways to Earth. Whether these beings are hostile or benign remains to be seen, but one thing's for sure...we can't prevent them from coming here. :rolleyes:

Reactions: tfdchief
Awe, shucks fellas....:) I'm flattered....... Hey, I can tell you from years of experience with that style of firepit that it works great, if you enjoy cooking outside! Just used ours again last evening, made some corn-on-the-cob and hamburgers on it. Stax, yours is looking great! BTUser, that square end is where you cook, you can use a hoe (or make a steel one like I did) to pull coals over to the square end to cook over. Add a couple of slivers of white oak, hickory, applewood or cherry, and you gots yerself some good cooking!

2012-05-19_18-42-04_857.jpg

So, fossil, nobody seems to be running with your theories. So, what do you think guys? Does Rick have something, or did he start hitting the sauce a bit early?:p==c If he is on to something, I'm going to figure out some way to build one with a message to the aliens......Bring your own splits, lots and lots of splits.;lol Master Scotty could you give me some pointers?

Reactions: Defiant
Nothing new there, Steve, none of my theories has ever attracted much of a following. :p Rick
I don't know, Rick.....as we sit around that Firepit on a starry night after many an adult beverage is consumed (and after the kids are put to bed, of course), if one stares into those flames of the keyhole pit, one could maybe see the portal to another world........but I usually pass out before that happens! ;)

I don't know, Rick.....as we sit around that Firepit on a starry night after many an adult beverage is consumed (and after the kids are put to bed, of course), if one stares into those flames of the keyhole pit, one could maybe see the portal to another world........but I usually pass out before that happens! ;)

Been there Scotty...I've made it to see the portal...But when the dog starts talking to me, I usually go to bed! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.