Fire pit with a 17 hour burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schortie

Nov 6, 2008
michigan
I lit a fire in the outdoor fire pit last night at 8:00pm. At 1:30 today, I noticed a wisp of smoke coming off of a coaling chunk. If I wouldn't get killed by the efficiency rating, I could market this ring of rocks as a solid overnight burner.

On a side note, I won $10.00 from a guy who bet me that a top-down starting method wouldn't work. He said fire always goes up, never down.

Get at least 30 hrs with good lump in my Big Green Egg. Unfortunately the "rainforest special" lump charcoal is all but impossible to get these days. I get over 24 hrs with the wal-mart stuff.

north of 60 said:
Was it a BK fire pit, non-cat? :p

I hope it was non-cat, I rather prefer beef and pork :)

One day late last fall I cleaned out my wood stove and put the ashes in the bucket. I did this before work and put the bucket outside in the driveway. I always do this to give the ashes a good 24 hours + to cool down. My father stopped by when I was working to grab something and noticed the bucket. Figuring that I was just being lazy, he took the bucket into the woods and dumped into a hole in the ground at the base of a tree. Next morning I wake up to smoke spewing out of the ground. We have volcano's in CT? I was lucky in that it was a Saturday and I was around all day. Roots or something must have started to smolder/catch fire. It ended up being not a big deal as I was able to put it out with a garden hose. Point is, ashes can hold hot coals for a long time!

ps I have 50+ cords in mature oaks back there!

Don't sit the ash bucket on the snow either.

Attachments

• Ashes1.jpg
    Ashes1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 316
shortie, why don't you just move that fire pit indoors this winter? Great overnight burn time. lol

Only need to use large enough wood and you can smolder for days. Burned a big oak round in mine the other night and following day for sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.