Fire Pit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
After 3 years of wanting one, I've decided it was time. Drove a pin in the desired location and used a dry line to complete a circle. Dug 9.5 inches and leveled using dry line and a mason's level. I will fill 6 inches with gravel or stone for drainage and then sand and maybe pavers for a base. I'm gonna use PaveStones "Rumble Stone" from the big box store. A 36" grate will be purchased so that I can cook on it as well.
Fire Pit 1.jpgFirepit 2.jpgFirepit 3.jpgFirepit Rumble Stone.jpg

Very nice. Gonna look sweet when complete!

Lots of nice pits this year.. I just did mine a couple weeks ago. I did a "keyhole" design (courtesy of Scotty Overkill).

Dug mine out also. All materials, except the 5 bags of sand, were free from the new neighbors. They wanted all the rocks and bricks out of there yard and barn. Thanks neighbor ;)pit4.jpg

Wow Stax, that's gonna' be nice. Git 'er dun and take pics......again.:cool:
I at first thought that tractor and trailer were full size, which would have made the pit, uh, HUGE.!!

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, my material is gonna cost me much more than Dexter's. It's all good though. Come fall, we live out back.

Stax, take it from me. Consider making your cooking area off to the side. I used to have a round firepit as well, but it was hard to cook on it as you had to wait for the fire to go waaaaay down before you could cook. Now, with the keyhole design, you can make a rake to drag coals out of the fire over into the cooking area and be cooking in no time. I can start a fire and be cooking in 25 minutes. That's the advantage of the cooking area being off to the side. Either way, your pit will be nice, and if you are anything like me you will spend a lot of time out there using it! Pics when finished, too!

2012-06-16_20-27-21_737.jpg 2012-05-19_18-37-12_208.jpg

I think you might have just convinced me!

It convinced me ;)

Regardless of cost, I was building mine. My neighbor literary told me the day before I broke ground, that I could have all of his rocks. Him having a couple dozen firebrick (for cooking area), even sweetened the deal.

Cooking over fire is something that dates back, to well... A long time ago;) But still having your fire and eating your wings too... Priceless! !!

(Thanks again Scotty) Good work Stax. Keep the pics and updates comin....

Reactions: ScotO
This thread was meant to be. Thanks dexter for the firebrick cooking area suggestion. I think I'll use my firebrick for the same area from when I did the fireplace remod. Works out perfect. Thanks guys.

Reactions: DexterDay and ScotO
Nice pits folks...At Mad Dog, That's so pretty if I did that, My wife would make me put a fountain or statue in that area and I would never be able to enjoy a fire!LOL:mad:

Reactions: DexterDay
Nope... it was this line, "I can start a fire and be cooking in 25 minutes."

Reactions: PapaDave
That Keyhole design is pretty smart. The wife says you should submit that to the Family Handyman magazine! Looks great guys!

Jim

All these look great! Getting plenty of ideas what to do when I finally decide when & where to build one.

What are compared your overall dimensions? Thats lookin awesome. ! How deep are u going?

I went 60" round (5ft) x 18"x18" square cooking area. Scotty Overkills is a little smaller IIRC....

If I had to buy or get my materials, it would have been much smaller than what I made it. But I still have leftovers from when I built mine. Not much, but there are a few random pieces lying around.

Looks great. Looking forward to the finished product. I am still in search of an old Grill or Oven grate for my cooking area. Do you have any plans or ideas, as what to use?

You're gonna laugh on this one. My circle is 79" and my square is 3'x3'. My fire pit won't be this large. I will be putting down pavers in this area and then give like a 1 foot reveal outside of the pit.

I forgot. I went 10" down. As for the grill or grate, I will probably order something off of amazon.

You're gonna laugh on this one. My circle is 79" and my square is 3'x3'. My fire pit won't be this large. I will be putting down pavers in this area and then give like a 1 foot reveal outside of the pit.

Not laughing at all..... Quite jealous actually. Your gonna have one fine looking pit.....

I still have to finish the area around mine. Thought about putting pavers down around it, then an area of River Rock... I killed off all the grass. I just have to do it :(

Stax, looks good so far.
Like a gateway to another time and space.
Better get your walkin' shoes on......looks like it'll take a while to walk from one side to the other.;)

great ideas, maybe I will add a firepit after my wood fired oven is done.
wow, how much fire do you need in a back yard...................
charcoal grill/smoker, WFO. firepit...........
I do not know enough people to use them all

Status
Not open for further replies.