Fire Place Block around metal Flue pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awoolwine

Sep 27, 2006
I had a wood stove installed and vented through my exhisting fireplace. A new metal pipe was installed all the way up and the installer insulated it between the pipe and the flue. He neglected to install a block at the bottom where he removed the damper. I asked him to install a block and he suggested it was so tight up in there, that it would be better if I just stuffed it with unbacked fiberglass insulation. That did'nt sound right to me so I checked the insulation and it stated "not for use in airspace between metal chimney and the flue.
The reason I want to block it is, there is a strong odor from the chimney, because the top is insulated between the metal pipe and the flue at the top. There is no way for the odor to escape. Any suggestions as to what material I can safely use to "stuff" the damper area behind my stove? It will have to touch the pipe the same as a sheet metal block would.

Yes, I saw that, but the space between the metal pipe and the flue is insulated and blocked off at the top. There is no exit to the air. The metal flue pipe is intact with no kinks in it.

I simply want to stop the odor of the old chimney from wafting into the room.

I am not concerned about a chimney fire, as the chimney is brand new and we are going to have it cleaned every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.