Fire Place Design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie135

May 31, 2015
Dacusville, SC
3 or 4 years ago my wife and I were looking to build an IFC house. We located a builder in our area and went and looked at a house he completed about an hour form our home. In the demo residence there was a fire place that was similar to a Rumford design but different. This fire place was shallow at int he fire pit area and the fire brick curved our allowing the fire to "roll" out and over the curved wall facing up into a small over hanging flue. This curved wall facing was made of curved fire brick which let the flame leave an enclosed area. I have not seen this design before nor since. If I recall correctly the design was anciently significant, but I still can't find any information on this design. Is there any one in this forum that may be of assistance?
Thanks in advance.
Charlie

do you have any pics? It does sound a little like a prior fire box but without seeing it it would be hard to tell. There are allot of other modified rumford designs out there as well

I don't have any picture, I wish I did. It is similiar to chimneysweep187 image but in my case the curved wall actually extrudes away from the wall. If you were to straddle a wall the profile of the fire brick would come out and back in. The flame in essence would be in open space if there were no saftey fencing.

And when was this fp built?

Bholler,
It was built 6-8 years ago, but it was my understanding it was based on an antique/ancient design? I'm not sure. I have searched the internet for something similar to show you guys, but have had no luck.
I really appreciate everyone's help so fa!
Charlie

It was built 6-8 years ago, but it was my understanding it was based on an antique/ancient design?
At that age my guess would be a prior fire. And there really was nothing like that made in ancient times they pretty much all just made bog open boxes. Was it laid out of individual fire brick?

At that age my guess would be a prior fire. And there really was nothing like that made in ancient times they pretty much all just made bog open boxes. Was it laid out of individual fire brick?
Yea I just talked to Chris prior like 3 weeks ago when he was at my shop. I think he said he first started making them in the late 80s

Status
Not open for further replies.