Fire place glove recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

upanovr

Sep 11, 2011
Ohio
So does anyone have any gloves they swear by? I'm thinking the kind you can grab a flamming split if the need arises. I looked around online a bit and just thought i would see what the experienced folks would recommend. Thanks.

Hmm. Makes sense and I have a couple pairs around here somewhere. Thanks.

Lowes sells gauntlet style gloves, near the woodstove stuff, for about $11.00 per pair. Military discount brings em down to $9.90. Picked up a flaming log just Saturday without any issues. Its the only thing the dog hasn't chewed yet.

iI use a pair of welding gloves from tractor supply.

Welding gloves from a welding supplier. Four bucks.

Most of the time I use the hardware store welding gloves . . . but if I'm hauling out a very hot ash pan or a cast iron frying pan that has been sitting on the hot coals for the past 5 or 6 minutes I go with the thicker, insulated hearth gloves.

I use hearth gloves purchased from a hardware store near our home in Canada. Sorry, I can't remember the brand name but they weren't very expensive and you can pick up anything with them and not feel the heat. Don't know why they sell them in pairs, though. I only use the right hand glove. The four-year old left hand glove looks like it just came out of the package. Guess I'll have to give it to a left-handed wood burner!

ChipTam

FlameX Deluxe Fireplace gloves from Northline Express.
Kids tried to ruin them by soaking them in water, they got a little stiff and lost about 20-30% effectiveness but I can still move buring logs with them.

Went through many welders gloves, but still have my original FlameX's.
For some reason my welders gloves always gets a hole in pointer finger on the right hand.
So far I have 3 pairs all with a hole in the same spot.

Check these out bought them at Harbor Freight in 2004,20 inches in length. You can pick up a burning log easily very little wear on them,all I know is that they say made in China,$10.00.100%leather.

Attachments

• gloves 002.jpg
    gloves 002.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 451
These are mine they are leather and soft which make them easy to grip with. They are fire proof gloves from Home Hardware but I don't know who makes them I like them because they go so far up my arm. I use it to reload and move logs about that roll off.
Like someone else said I have put the 'left' one away for now just so when I grab one I know it is the 'right' one :)

IMG_1687-vi.jpg

IMG_1689-vi.jpg

ChipTam said:
I use hearth gloves purchased from a hardware store near our home in Canada. Sorry, I can't remember the brand name but they weren't very expensive and you can pick up anything with them and not feel the heat. Don't know why they sell them in pairs, though. I only use the right hand glove. The four-year old left hand glove looks like it just came out of the package. Guess I'll have to give it to a left-handed wood burner!

ChipTam

Hehheh . . . just the opposite for me . . . my left handed glove is all beat up and soiled . . . the right one looks nearly brand new . . . although I do use it on occasion.

If you want to get really technical...

http://www.allhandsfire.com/FIREGUARD-PATRIOT-GLOVE-W-GAUNTLET-CUFF

firefighterjake, these will keep your fingers safe even if you are shaking the hand of Satan himself. Of course, only after he gives you all those juicy wood stove secrets.

But for 60 bucks you can buy 6 pairs of welder's gloves and do the same job. No forearm protection either.

All good info. Thanks. I went out to the garage and retrieved my welding gloves. they work well but are a bit worn, think i will try the Flame X gloves, they are the ones I was looking at when i started this post. Again, Thanks for the input.

Girlfriend gave me a pair of gauntlet type stove gloves for Christmas, she ordered from LL Bean. No idea what she paid for them, gues I could go online and look, likely more than some of the ones mentioned in previous posts. But, they are great, have grabbed and held glowing logs with them, picked up hot coals, not even a scortch mark. And with LL Bean stuff, return or replace, no questions asked.

I checked those out as well. Yes they are expensive but like you said they're LL Bean, nuff said. Good to hear a real world review on them though. I may revisit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.