Fire Place/ wood burning stove Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fburke

Dec 27, 2007
Beverly Ma
I was thinking about putting in a small wood burning stove to help keep my oil bill down the issue I have is my living room has heat baseboard all around and I can not relocate a section due to my house in on a slab.

Is there a way I could box this in or maybe there is a stove on the market that doesn’t get too hot in the back? i would want to put in a wood burner not a pellet stove if possiable.

my house is about 1800sf tri levle with a pretty open floor plan. I'm only looking to help heat the main living area and where heat rises it should help the bedroom areas some.

any one know of any dealers in the North of Boston area?

Thanks!

Dear Friend,

You will find MANY stoves today that can get very close to the read walls and side walls. I was looking for the same, and one unit I considered was the Morso - I think 8 inches or so from the wall. Many other models allow 12" or closer.

Should be lots of local dealers around there. Check our dealer section:
https://www.hearth.com/shops.html

There is also a link there to many other dealer searches, including our trade org.

There are several stoves that don't get too hot in the back, especially at baseboard level. There shouldn't be any need to relocate the baseboard. A stove needs a certain amount of clearance from the wall regardless. As to what stove would work, it may be more a matter of the style that works for you, budget, flue connection and how the stove will be burned (24/7 or mostly evenings and weekends). Is there an existing flue or will this installation be from scratch?

Morso 3610 and you wont have to run your boiler , it will heat your whole house.
There is a good dealer just North of you in New Hampshire, plus no sales tax ;)
Home & Hearth
102 Lafayette Rd
Hampton Falls
NH 3844
Tel.: 603-926-2084

I can put my hand on the back of my stoves heat shield and leave it there when the stack is at 500 degrees.
If your thinking about getting a wood stove go "all in" IE get one that will do the whole house, you wont be sorry 8)

this will be a new installation there is no stove or fireplace at this time. here is a picture of the room it;s going in it will most likly go where the fish tank is now.

the room is actually a litt different where i have painted and replaced this living room set.

livingroom.gif

livingroom2.gif

livingroom.gif

Where Thomas is seems like a good location, plenty of heat will shoot right up the stairs.

not sure how big of stove your gonna go with . with a heat shield you can put my lil tribute 7" from the corners to the wall.. and you can buy a raised hearth pad.. mine is 3 1/2" you can also get a 6" high one... not sure if it would work for you or not..

Attachments

• pic 006.jpg
    pic 006.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 270
  • pic 008.jpg
    pic 008.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 276
that might work as long at the foot print is on the smaller size and like i posted above i would rather not do pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.