Fire pot fills after 1 night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1 story, 1200 square foot house in Ky, installed a new 5500M in Nov '11. Bought from TSC. It has a OAK and one 45 coming out and straight thru. I have the same problem sometimes, maybe 2 times a week. Crank it up and let it burn on 2 for awhile, the house gets too warm and I crank it down. 7 hours later I have a pot fill up and a lazy flame. Asked folks around here, and they said its the pellets. When I got the stove, TSC gave me a deal on the the first ton, $140.00, they burn allright, hardly no ash. Doesnt happen all the time thou.... Gonna buy the next ton different brand.
Dont really know if I should start getting my greasy mitts around adjusting the board, I have a history of making things go weird. On heat setting 2, nice inside the house, back bedrooms around 73 all the time.

hmanderson said:
Thanks everyone. I need to do something because last night it was 6 here and the stove wouldnt even keep the room it is in at 60

Adjust the Draft fan setting on the control board. You push the button down once to get it out of "auto" and then I'd start with raising it 2 higher then what ever heat range you are running at. Play with this setting until the stove burns the cleanest and you stop getting black soot on the glass. If the burn pot starts to appear to be starved for pellets then you have the draft fan to high. It takes about 24 hour for my glass to start to get a whitish soot build up when its adjusted properly. You will be shocked at how much more heat you get by fine tuning the burn. I do agree with others to limit the elbows as much as possible will help also.

Here is my suggestion.

I love direct venting as its easy to care for and simple.

Take a look at the window in question and fix it so it can't OPEN
With the window fixed so it can't open the requirement of 4 feet is no longer an issue.

Now get the stove up to the same level as the pipe and run a simple straight pipe out the wall with a 45 on it pointed so it does not face into the wind.

All those bends and stuff just kills the air flow, plus adds a ton of area to collect crud.

With a straight pipe, you simply remove the 45 elbow and suck the little critter out with a shop vac every couple weeks.

Or do as many of us do and hook the leaf blower suction side to the pipe and let it rip.

I have all my Pellet stoves hooked up with direct vents and love them.

Here is the outside view on the little whit. Pipe is outside about 12" and about the same inside.

The other piccy is behind the large Whit and the pipe makes one 45 then out the wall about 2 feet

Totally reliable and esy to keep clean

Attachments

• pipe1.jpg
    pipe1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 304
  • Leaf blower trick.jpg
    Leaf blower trick.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 319
I just spoke with a guy at tsc who has burned pellets for 5 yrs and he said this yr he is having the same problem with the ash and black windows as I am. He says it is the pellets. The brand i have are indeck energy. Anyone else burn these?

hmanderson said:
I just spoke with a guy at tsc who has burned pellets for 5 yrs and he said this yr he is having the same problem with the ash and black windows as I am. He says it is the pellets. The brand i have are indeck energy. Anyone else burn these?

With an over EVL vent it won't matter what kind of pellet you burn.

The vent is working against a proper burn.

Do the straight out vent routine for a few hours, you just might have to live with a smidge of smoke back when you turn the stove off.

Be certain that you clear the OAK input by at least a foot. Otherwise you'll be sucking oxygen depleted air and smoke into your stove as burn air.

hmanderson said:

See my quote above I bet you can get rid of the problem to some degree.

hmanderson said:
I removed everything except the t outside and let it burn for 1.5 hrs and did not notice a change.

Then if you can get that controller out of automatic try what NOS Valves posted.

Snowy Rivers:

I would think that
the exhaust that dumps into a wooden stairway would be as much of a code violation as being 4' from a window...just sayin.

mikkeeh said:
Snowy Rivers:

I would think that
the exhaust that dumps into a wooden stairway would be as much of a code violation as being 4' from a window...just sayin.

Betcha she is above the required distance from combustibles.

Betcha she is above the required distance from combustibles.

Probably is. I wouldnt be too concerned about the fire hazard, but discharging hot gas/sparks onto a walkway/stairway is just not a good idea. IMHO

The picture is deceiving.

I am 6 foot tall and can walk up the steps right under the vent pipe and pass under it easily without ducking

The 45 elbow angles the exhaust out and away from everything of concern.

I really did not want the vent there, but the other spot that lent itself to a stove (INSIDE) would have had the vent about two feet above the deck that that staircase leads to.

Not good at all, plus facing right into the heavy wind direction

Sooooooooooo, you just have to make concessions and take the lines of least resistance.

If there will ever be a fire due to a stove its not gonna be under the vents.

I worry far more about dry grass during the cold dry winter weather that we can get at times.

Get a week of 10F with a 40 MPH wind and the dead grass can really get dried out and burn easily

But, this said, we have never had any issues as the pellet stoves generally don't send out spark.

The Quad will on occasion pop out some tiny sparks, but never been an issue

Just wondering how you made out with the stove so far. I use the same stove and am located in West Michigan so if you need help give me a shout. It sounds like pellets. I ran out of Somerset's last week and could not find any so I had to use some Crap Michigan Wood Pellets. I knew what I was getting but my options were limited at the time. They are all long pellets and low heat with a lot of ash. My 5500 runs the smaller pellets so much better and the Somerset ones give me the best heat and lowest ash for what we can get around our area and trust me I have tried everything that is around us!

hmanderson said:
I will do the dollar bill check later today after the stove has cooled down. I do have an OAK (outside air kit) installed, however I am not sure how I would open it up as you suggest.

If i had a dollar I'd do the test but the IRS took it all.
I just replaced my gaskets with the help of a fellow forum member this weekend. I am also due for a cleaning of the back of the stove. Try giving your stove more air.

Status
Not open for further replies.