Fire Saftey

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
The recent discussions about fire had me doing a review of my situation such as smoke, and CO2 detectors, a fire extinguisher nearby, nothing near the front of the stove, and of course, a clean stove and venting system.

My stove is installed within the limit of those stated in the manual. I recently purchased a thermal leak detector. This is a new toy for me. Its intent is to scan along areas where you would suspect heat loss so you can make corrections and save heat.
I scanned the wall behind my stove to see what the surface temperature was. I have an exhaust pipe with a 3 foot rise. The area directly behind the pipe averaged 104-120. It is painted sheetrock. While this seems safe as it is, should something go wrong and the pipe getting hotter is there a risk of the wall burning? I could tile the wall, or add cement board, but don’t want to unless there is a realistic potential of a problem. I had read of a situation where the screws used to secure the wallboard, after prolonged heat exposure, actually conducted heat into the wooden studs used to build a wall resulting in a fire.

as long as you have met the clearance to combustible for your brand of pipe dont worry about it. pellet vent pro is 1 inch. body temp is 98 degrees. The interior plastics in your car get alot hotter than that sitting in the sun and dont catch fire. I would have to say a vinyl seat gets 130-140 degrees?

If you are worried about the temp on the wallboard, install a heat shield between the pipe and the wall to reflect the heat out away from the wall.

I had this setup on a wood stove some many years ago. The installation was to the "THEN" code but the walls got soo hot that it was scarry.

I suspended the shield from the ceiling jack and it half circled the single wall pipe that went from the stove to the jack.

Took care of the heat totally. Still there the last I knew. Sold the house in 1993

You can't be too safe.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.