Fire side.... Limited review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsk

Sep 12, 2011
Eastern ct
Ok so I had my M55 installed 2 weeks ago. Still feeling it out but given the many questions concerning fireside pellets I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Over the past 2 weeks we've burned through 2 bags of fiireside pellets. For the first 3 hours we burned on level 5 to get the new stove smell out. The rest of the time the stove was on level 2 with no fuel trim. The air damper was manually positioned to match flame appearance with optimal. There is no OAK installed yet, this is scheduled for later in the year.
the fireside pellets were bought from home depot and say bagged in Canada.

At level 5 my meat thermometer was pegged beyond 220F. At level 2 is was around 160.

Ash- after burn was 12 ounces (volume). This does not include ash vacuumed out of the combustion chamber during two cleanings. It does include all of the ash that accumulated in the ash pot after the 2 bags of pellets were consumed. So if I was to estimate the total amount of ash produced during the burn cycle I would say perhaps 24 ounces. Generally I fell that I am estimating on the high side here.

There were a some fines at the bottom of the bag, but I just poured in a bag of spruce pointe and found a large dust cloud over the hopper. No such dust cloud was apparent with the firesides.

Overall I'm happy with the firesides, understanding that we're a long ways away from January and February.

Anyone else try these yet?

It was rumored that the latest Fireside Ultras where made by Energex Ca. Should be similar to natures own and the green bag Energex brands.

I haven't see Fireside Ultras since the HD started selling Stove Chow.

I picked up a couple today. Bag says Premier pellet. Same CO. as Stove Chow/Natures Own. Premier from what I am told is Energex.

The Energex in the green bags were really good last year(tested about 5 bags)....the Energex in the red bag were decent. (these are the Stove Chow/Natures Own/FiresideUltras?)....They also had MWP with the stove on the bag...I have a ton of MWP with the cabin...first bag going in to the stove tonight.

Energex brands are for pellet house/stove dealers. Premier brands are for the box stores. Keeps the dealers happy. From what I have gathered from tips is the Premier Canadian stuff is the exact same as the green bagged Energex. The Premier USA stuff is the same as the Energex American with the Eagle on the bag.

j-takeman said:
Energex brands are for pellet house/stove dealers. Premier brands are for the box stores. Keeps the dealers happy. From what I have gathered from tips is the Premier Canadian stuff is the exact same as the green bagged Energex. The Premier USA stuff is the same as the Energex American with the Eagle on the bag.

Thanks for clarifying!!

So I have spruce points in the stove for the past week or so. We've been turning the stove on in the am and pm just to get the chill out of the house. Most days it'll run for maybe 5 hours.

At this point (1.5)bags in I think the firesides burn better. The stove has all the same settings as above. Running on level 2 we see 150-160 temps. In cleaned the pot once and has clinkers in it. There seems to be more ash and many more fines. The fines don't seem to burn off, the enter the combustion chamber and seem to collect on the walls of the fire box.

I'll measure the ash after the last .5 bag is used up.but right now fire side wins.

Maybe the spruce points got wet? They seem dry enough. Not sure when they would have gotten wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.