Fire snuffing out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbas Boys

Aug 31, 2014
Central Illinois
We are burning our 3rd fire in the new Kitchen Queen 480. I am trying to close the back damper to heat the whole stove and when I do the fire wants to go out. What does that mean? Wood to wet?

We are burning our 3rd fire in the new Kitchen Queen 480. I am trying to close the back damper to heat the whole stove and when I do the fire wants to go out. What does that mean? Wood to wet?

That or insufficient draft or you turn down the air too early. Very unlikely but possible is that the air inlet is obstructed or some other stove problem.
Do you have a moisture meter to test the wood? Does it steam/smoke/sizzle when you light it up?
What kind of flue do you have? How tall is it?
When you close it down the air how hot is the stove? Are you doing it stepwise watching the fire or do you try to close the air off in one fell swoop?
Did you check that the baffle is seated correctly?

If I am not mistaken (And I very well could be), that stove has the ability to basically shut down a fire whereas the newer EPA variants still have a small (regulated) amount they let in - even when the primary is completely close. Try leaving the draft open a small amount and see what that does for you.
I have seen your other posts and realize that you know the need for dry wood - so to ask the question, how is your wood supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.