Fire Starter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrond

Apr 3, 2013
Pumpkintown SC
IMG_20130507_203018.jpg Was reading through old threads about fire starters. My neighbor turned me on to these. They are about 2 bucks and once you open the container just cut them into 2x2 chunks and store in a ziplock. It wil light with just a spark. Add a few pieces of dry wood and you have a fire. Just an option for folks on a budget

My favorite starter is ...fatwood... I bought a 20 # case, split it up like kindling and tripled my volume. Logs great and starts great....

Reactions: ScotO
Here we go.... ;lol

Reactions: PapaDave and Todd 2
Oh gawd, not again. ;hm

Reactions: PapaDave and Todd 2
Part of the charm of hearth.com.

Geez... As moderators, I would think you would be pleased that we are using this site. There is a saying ... you learn something every day...maybe not the masters like you guys, but for us who are starting out and enjoying burning and trying to learn as we go, we are..... Now please don't hold this criticism against me, I know you we're only joking..... Well sorta ;-)

We are joking. Actually glad for the OP to post about a lighter not seen here before. Just chuckling because we know it will turn into a nine mile long thread with numerous Super Cedar posts. ;lol

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
Yeah I had to bust some chops, sorry, I love this site and I'm learning so much while having fun.....

Now if we can just get you to toss that fatwood in the landfill...

Now if we can just get you to toss that fatwood in the landfill...
No dice,I bought 20 # worth, it's gonna start a lot of fires next burning season, in fact, it's gonna start 2 tomorrow, I'm off from work, it's gonna be chilly and I will have an indoor and outdoor fire going on at he same time all day........ahhhh I love burning...
Ps what's wrong with the fatwood?

No tension, it's all good.....

View attachment 101613 Was reading through old threads about fire starters. My neighbor turned me on to these. They are about 2 bucks and once you open the container just cut them into 2x2 chunks and store in a ziplock. It wil light with just a spark. Add a few pieces of dry wood and you have a fire. Just an option for folks on a budget

This is not a fire starter, it's a BBQ charcoal substitute. It looks like a wide disk variation on Sterno (gelled ethanol).

http://www.grillwithbic.com/flamedisk/howitworks.asp

how long it take you guys to get your supercedar samples? Mine were mailed out 3 weeks ago, still haven't arrived ;hm

how long it take you guys to get your supercedar samples? Mine were mailed out 3 weeks ago, still haven't arrived ;hm

Thomas is always super fast with shipping...something's wrong there. Shoot him an e-mail & he'll make it right pronto.

http://www.supercedar.com/

This is not a fire starter, it's a BBQ charcoal substitute. It looks like a wide disk variation on Sterno (gelled ethanol).

http://www.grillwithbic.com/flamedisk/howitworks.asp

In all the fire-starter threads on the forum in recent months, although there have been some interesting concoctions tossed into stoves, I don't recall reading anything in the threads around this particular stuff (sterno). It might be a non issue but got my curiosity going - anyone have any real concerns...? Would be good to let the OP know (I could just be making noise here).

This product should not be used to start a fire. It is not intended for that purpose at all. It is for outdoor use only. It also contains a toxic poison.

http://www.grillwithbic.com/flamedisk/instructions.asp

Read your stove manual for acceptable fire starting info.

Closing thread. There are a bazzillion others on this same topic with far safer suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.