Fire starter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYLife

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2012
Mohegan Lake NY
Have any of you used these before and what do you think. A friend of mine gave me a box image.jpg

I used those the first year, they're ok, they work but not nearly as well as cedarfirestarters.

I used those the first year, they're ok, they work but not nearly as well as cedarfirestarters.
That's good to know. Maybe I'll give them to someone as I ordered me a case of the cedar ones. How's the weather in mass tonight .
? Have u started using your blaze king yet

That's good to know. Maybe I'll give them to someone as I ordered me a case of the cedar ones. How's the weather in mass tonight .
? Have u started using your blaze king yet

Not just yet, just got home from the hospital for a hip replacement, might start burning this weekend, at least hope to.

Not just yet, just got home from the hospital for a hip replacement, might start burning this weekend, at least hope to.
Oh wow I hope you get back into things soon. Feel better

Here is hoping for a speedy recovery.

ouch....i've used those in the past but last year bought a case of super ceder fire starters. they work great.

cass

take care of yourself. you'll be able to start your fires fine with those, or whatever you choose. take it slow and don't rush recovery.

Thanks guys,I am recovering well and already walking better than I was 9 days ago, just dont want to push things to fast.
Good to hear - take your time, heal up right!

I use those all the time you can actually break them in 1/3 rds providing your wood is seasoned

Reactions: onetracker
I use those all the time you can actually break them in 1/3 rds providing your wood is seasoned
a quarter of a super cedar works GREAT! Very happy with the purchase.

JP

a quarter of a super cedar works GREAT! Very happy with the purchase.

JP
JP how many come in box and how much compared to the firestarter brand

JP how many come in box and how much compared to the firestarter brand
No standard box size. I bought the unwrapped "green" ones. I think they are down around 55 cents each.

my wfie's business generates A LOT of cardboard.. esp. this time of year. I get by with a quarter of a super cedar and a few sheets of cardboard. I imagine once it's winter and I'm running more often, raking up the coals and the cardboard will be all that's needed.

JP

JP, you probably done even need the cardboard, I just use some smaller splits and away she goes.

JP, you probably done even need the cardboard, I just use some smaller splits and away she goes.
Gotta either haul it to the dump.. or let it contribute to the heat... I'll take the heat. Easy and fast.

I'm a supercedars fan now though. Good product at a good price.

JP

I've never used the Super Cedars, but I've been using StarterLoggs for about 4 years. I only need to break off a square inch to get things going.

NY Life . . . they work OK . . . Super Cedars work much better.

Weatherguy . . . get well soon.

Thanks guys,I am recovering well and already walking better than I was 9 days ago, just dont want to push things to fast.

Recovery should not take too long. Walking is the very best thing you can do for that hip. fwiw, both my wife and I have had both hips replaced. I remember well the first one. We did not know what to expect. Had it done in July and by Labor Day was climbing trees and doing anything I wanted to do.

Recovery should not take too long. Walking is the very best thing you can do for that hip. fwiw, both my wife and I have had both hips replaced. I remember well the first one. We did not know what to expect. Had it done in July and by Labor Day was climbing trees and doing anything I wanted to do.
Thanks Dennis, Im doing a lot of walking, chomping at the bit to cut and split some wood I have, dont want to push things as its only 9 days post op. Hows your mobility with your new hips? I know they told me to be careful because it can pop out, Im sure it will get more secure in time.

Jake, thanks for the well wishes, Im soo bored

Those starterloggs firestarters that walmart, rural king, and other stores sell work pretty good for me. I know everyone here wants to support the supercedars' small business here, which is great. I have tried the supercedars and they work great for me too. It is just easier for me to pick up a box of startloggs while I am out shopping:(

Reactions: barn burner

i agree john boy

i've used the starter log sticks for years and i also break them up into 1/3's and they work famously well. it works out to about .20 per fire. in mid winter i might use 1 or 2 per week after ash clean out. .40/week x ~20 weeks = ~$8 for the year. i never use kindling any more.

OT

Thanks Dennis, Im doing a lot of walking, chomping at the bit to cut and split some wood I have, dont want to push things as its only 9 days post op. Hows your mobility with your new hips? I know they told me to be careful because it can pop out, Im sure it will get more secure in time.

Jake, thanks for the well wishes, Im soo bored

I've never had much of a problem. However, after I got the second new hip, getting up off the ground can be a bit testy. Still, most of the time I don't notice any difference from before the hips went bad. I remember when only one had been replaced and only 3 weeks after surgery I saw the doctor. He had a visiting doctor with him and they asked me to walk up and down the hallway. When I did, I then asked the visiting doctor which hip had been replaced. He could not tell and said it appeared neither had been done.

Only warning on the popping out is usually within the first couple months. However, another warning is to not run or jog. Riding a bike is fine but running is too much of a jar on the new hip. Also, never use one of those inversion tables else the joint might pop out. But other than that, I pretty much do what I want to. My back is more of a problem than the hips.

Reactions: milleo and tfdchief
Status
Not open for further replies.