Fire starters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One split in front of the doghouse, one in the back, 4 pieces of 1inch by 1inch drop off pine from pallets and a bed of hot coals from the night before and we gots far. Everyone seems to be so much against usin newspaper but will stuff chunks of egg cartons in their stove?

Reactions: Huntindog1
I am not sure I understand all the fire starting talk....number of times I have actually started a fire from cold since October = under 10....hot coals, a few pieces of good cedar or pine kindling...and whammo, fire roaring.

More Pics all with the actual time stamps on them.

Notice the pic showing the firebrick with the ITC-100 coating, its nice and white after burning all winter so far.

The stove top temp gets hot quick as the wood is stacked up close to the burn tubes.

My fire bricks are nice and white also. But What is the ITC-100 coating? Just so the moderators won't holler at me I'll say that as far as fire starters I like all of the methods mentioned but have only had to cold start a fire twice since Oct. If you start/reload your fires a little early on hot coals you can get control of the fire much quicker.

ITC-100 is a ceramic type coating that is you have the insulative type pumice bricks that are less durable it will make them more durable.

Plus it is made for the Kiln and Forge ovens and is said to help them to burn hotter.

The coating reflects heat radiation back towards the inside of the fire box which is a different way of building heat in the box than the insulative fire bricks some stove designs use.

The idea is that a hotter fire box at lower input air settings helps things burn a little bit more efficient. Kiln and Forge industries have tested this out.

As with these stoves most the heat radiates out the top and front of the stove and not completely designed for heat to come out the sides as alot of stoves have heat shields on the back and sides.

I am not sure I understand all the fire starting talk....number of times I have actually started a fire from cold since October = under 10....hot coals, a few pieces of good cedar or pine kindling...and whammo, fire roaring.

Dead of winter means more time on your hands.

Plus it was 65 just a couple days ago.

Climate change is here.

Dead of winter means more time on your hands.

Plus it was 65 just a couple days ago.

Climate change is here.
That I get, just goofing around and experimenting....Thank the Lord for Global Warming!!! Here in California it has been -1!

Yeah, I have done it. Two sizes of saw dust (coarse and fine), with wax, compressed in a shop press. Burns for a long time (I got bored at 15 min.). Cut on a band saw.

firestartersm.jpg

I have a 3 and 5 year old. I spent 30 min making it with them. They enjoyed helping dispense the saw dust and cutting the egg cartons and pouring the wax.

My kids get a kick out of it, too. They wanted to sell them at the campground, but I had to remind them we sold our camper. We have a bunch of these cartons that were used to ship candles in glass jars. They burn for a really long time, and are what we use for outdoor fires. We use egg cartons for the stove.

2013-01-15_10-08-56_766.jpg

Reactions: Huntindog1
Seems like there are several closet makers of fire starters, I guess its part of the fun of owning a wood stove.

Should we all have a coming out party?

Jags,
Vey nice, what is the weight and dimensions?
Thomas

2.5" PVC was the mold and I have no idea of the weight. To be honest, the one in the pic was a batch that was compressed a bit too much. It was a little more difficult to get started, but the dang thing burned longer than my attention span would allow me to watch.
If you forced me to guess, I would probably guess 1.25 oz.

Thomas, for the record, I have used super cedars and as a "whole package" yours are far superior. You have it balanced out for easy lighting and a long burn. It is tough for me to be consistent.

I call mine "outstanding Oaks" ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.