Fire Starting Methods, Burn Times?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I have no problem starting a fire in my cold Jotul C450 insert. I usually stuff the box, kindling on top and light a lint and wax homemade fire starter, no problem (Top down method). This insert is rated as 8 hour burn times but if I want another log to light from coals it's 5-6. Is this 8 hours the time it takes for the last ember to snuff out? I think it must be, no fire is going to burn consistently forever. I was late in getting a new log on the fire today and it is a no burn day, I also ran out of fire starters. I didn't want to let a log smoke in the middle of the day until it finally got lit. So what I did, was splinter kindling to match sticks, and steadily added bigger pieces building a crisscrossed formation box around the embers and resulting flames. This worked very well and was able add small spits within minutes. This got the fire started, but I got too much smoke leaking into the house, any smoke is too much . Maybe I built the fire to fast? The insert is built so the smoke goes close to the door, over the baffle and up the liner. I like building a fire with just a leftover ember, it feels very primal. Most of the smoke came from blowing on it to get started. Match sticks wont leave enough coal to get the next size bigger going in flames, maybe jut get some flames shut the door,and steadily add bigger wood over time, yea, tha twiull work,but goes back to why I use a top down, I don't have to remember to come back every 10 minutes

My Osburn insert is about the same size as yours, and also advertised as having burn times up to 8 hours. I have managed such long burns a couple of times already (this is my first season), with lots of large coals left in the morning and the stove still putting out a meaningful amount of heat. The longest burns I've had were when I packed the stove as full as I could, with the stove already warm and a bunch of coals raked to the front. I think that starting cold requires you to leave more airspace and room for kindling, so you're not getting as much fuel packed in there as would be required for a really long burn. Also consider wood species (harder is better) and the size of the splits (larger is better).

It has been said that most manufacturers inflate the burn time figures. However, it really depends upon what kind of wood you are burning and how you burn it. One good example on burn times is for overnight burns. Until about mid December we did fine with 3-4 splits of ash for overnights. Plenty of coals in the morning if we needed the fire. Not so when the temperature drops to single digits. Now is the time to burn the oak or locust. It is easy for us to get a 12 hours burn and keep the house well into the 70's. It is usually 80+ in the house (80 right now) and in the mornings it might be anywhere from 76 up to 80. One night we really goofed and forgot the night temperature was forecast to get only into the low 20's. I was thinking it was to get down to 10. Needless to say, it was hot in this house all night!

It has been said that most manufacturers inflate the burn time figures. However, it really depends upon what kind of wood you are burning and how you burn it. One good example on burn times is for overnight burns. Until about mid December we did fine with 3-4 splits of ash for overnights. Plenty of coals in the morning if we needed the fire. Not so when the temperature drops to single digits. Now is the time to burn the oak or locust. It is easy for us to get a 12 hours burn and keep the house well into the 70's. It is usually 80+ in the house (80 right now) and in the mornings it might be anywhere from 76 up to 80. One night we really goofed and forgot the night temperature was forecast to get only into the low 20's. I was thinking it was to get down to 10. Needless to say, it was hot in this house all night!
I'm doing something wrong. Temps here rarely go -30. My stove room stays mid 70's, hall thermostat, mid 60's

Why doesnt Jotul spec the size of their fireboxes, they make it hard for buyers to compare.

L" X W" X H", I have 1.6 cu.ft. slightly more undre the smoke tubes, not much. 12"X12"X20"

Status
Not open for further replies.