Fire wood prices going up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ourhouse

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2006
Norfolk Ma
One of the guys I work with told me today that 2 of the bigger firewood dealers in our area are going up to 275$ a cord deliverd as of Sept 1. If you live in my area you better get it quick.

earthharvester said:
One of the guys I work with told me today that 2 of the bigger firewood dealers in our area are going up to 275$ a cord deliverd as of Sept 1. If you live in my area you better get it quick.
Good FYI . I have a brother that lives in Kentucky that buys wood and he get a full F250 truck load with side rails for $70. He said every Sept it goes up $40 . I have noticed it here too . Prices wil be the same Intel about fall and prices rise ............. There not as high as they are there but do go up about late Summer / early Fall .

Yep, it's getting closer to burning season! Prices always start rising about this time. When I buy wood, I buy it in the spring when it's cheaper.

Good to know. I just billed myself an extra steak and six pack for the pile out back.

BrotherBart said:
Good to know. I just billed myself an extra steak and six pack for the pile out back.
Ha. Wont hurt to rebill again before winter there Bb.
Yep, it’s getting closer to burning season! Prices always start rising about this time. When I buy wood, I buy it in the spring when it’s cheaper.
Really good idea there Todd . When buying in the spring you also know your wood is going to be dry for winter .

earthharvester said:

Wow, that is amazing - this is Boston metro area you're referring to?

In the Hudson Valley, friends just bought at $150/cord - split and seasoned hardwood. Surprised it's that much more expensive in MA - at those rates, might even be worth the cost of trucking it over for local dealers.

-Colin

I live out side the boston area. The two dealers are from Bellingham and Wrentham Ma. A good friend of mine was trucking fire wood down the cape for 350+ a cord last year. I'll give him a call to see what he is getting. I'll bet it's around 400 this year.

Greetings,
At 400 a cord it must be cheaper to burn fuel oil. I live in Maryland and have been trying to give away firewood that is left over from having trees removed from my property (30) all summer long.
Mike

I locked in at $130 a cord (mixed hdwd) with a guy I ran into a couple months ago. I want to buy a cord to get ahead.
Most prices I see locally are in the 180-200 per cord range.

Oh...and Mike, I still have your number. I just need to schedule some time to hook up with you as you are about an hour from me. I may try to get my hands on a big truck or a trailor for the trip up your way.

joel

Folks are still giving hardwood away around here. I am thinking of firing up the chainsaw today and getting at least a truck load of white oak rounds. Heck I've got so much wood available I'm gonna cut a few slabs to make benches with. I've still got about 15 oak round from tree I cut last summer, sitting in the back yard unsplit. I've got an entire monster sweetgum tree (half or it's split) piled up out back. I doubt I'll burn it since it doesn't heat as well as the oak and it creates a lot of ash.
I don't know why people don't burn around here as much as other areas but I'm loving it just the same.

Talked to a friend on Sunday who lives in Redhook, NY and prices for cord wood are at 200/cord...unless like him...his wife paid the guy for 2 cords but he only delivered 1. >:-(

Place on 9G in Staatsburg, 2+ cords for 330 plus tax. was at 250 in the summer time.

Kevin said:
Place on 9G in Staatsburg, 2+ cords for 330 plus tax. was at 250 in the summer time.

Good grief I have almost $4000.00 sitting in the back yard. BUT... in the ground...$780.00. Hmm, wood has become worth more than oil. :)

I can see Cape Cod costing $400/cord. If you figure the cost for a ranch on the cape on 0.20 acres of land probably sells for over $600k, and what kind of trees are those on the Cape? I went there in January last year and nothing but some short straggly pine trees with fat round cones as far as the eye could see was what I saw. You'd have to clear out an acre of them to get yourself a cord, and it'd be just pine at that. At least the trees get bigger the further inland you go, but they still seem to be very small and only pine.

The long time local firewood dealer out here is delivering in his three cord truck for $155 a cord dumped. I have never bought any from him but the neighbors do and I have never heard any complaints. The guy has a football field sized wood pile three miles from my house.

Marty said:
BrotherBart said:
...The guy has a football field sized wood pile...
He da man.

I'll try to get by there and take a picture this week. I have intended to for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.