Firebox Agitator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmdamselfly

Nov 25, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
The agitator in my new M55 Multifuel pellet stove was not set correctly and therefore does not agitate causing the ash to build up and the fire to go out. I'm a first tiem owner, I've googled, u-tubed and search for how to set the agitator. the right side is out of the hole and I believe it should go thru the opening and attach to something. I hesitate to insert it in the hole as I don't want to breakt anything or cause any heat to go inot a place it should not be. Any helpful comments would be appreciated. Other than that I love my stove, I'm just an over safety cautious person.

You won't break it. Slide it into the whole and turn it towards you until it stops. Reverse to remove. I'll see if I can find the Enviro video on cleaning it showed ho to remove and reinstall it.

http://www.enviro.com/warrantyClaim...ow_video&video=M55-Weekly-Cleaning-Part-1.flv
Thanks so much, oh my gosh that worked. It seems snug and so I'll find out this evening. It's difficult to get these types of questions answered. Is the fire supposed to come out the bottom sides of the firebox also or shouldit stay mostly withinn the confines of the box? M - in Abq NM.

On the M55 it is normal to have some fire come out of the bottom left and right side of the burn pot. It does it at times, but not always. It won't hurt anything and if you ask me, makes the flame pattern look a little more realistic compared to other pellet stoves. You are in the right place for questions on pretty much any pellet stove. You are lucky in that there are quite a few M55 owners on this forum that can answer pretty much any question that might come up.

On the M55 it is normal to have some fire come out of the bottom left and right side of the burn pot. It does it at times, but not always. It won't hurt anything and if you ask me, makes the flame pattern look a little more realistic compared to other pellet stoves. You are in the right place for questions on pretty much any pellet stove. You are lucky in that there are quite a few M55 owners on this forum that can answer pretty much any question that might come up.

Yes, the agitator is moving but now I have a question about so many sparks flying up and about, it makes me uncomfortable, maybe I'll disconnect the agitator so that it will reduce the sparks.

Yes, the agitator is moving but now I have a question about so many sparks flying up and about, it makes me uncomfortable, maybe I'll disconnect the agitator so that it will reduce the sparks.

Uh OH...Sparks??? Not this again.

Anyway, the sparks flying around inside the burn box is a good thing.....don't touch anything. It means you have good air flow through the burn pot.

Reactions: Brokenwing
Uh OH...Sparks??? Not this again.

Anyway, the sparks flying around inside the burn box is a good thing.....don't touch anything. It means you have good air flow through the burn pot.

okay if you say so. I seem to have a nice level of flame on setting No. 2. I keep getting up to watch to ensure that no burning embers have fallen into the ash pan and ot make sure all is contained, thanks to all in the forum I'm trusting the product a bit more now. I'm used to fire places and used to wood stoves, but being my first pellet stove, I'm a bit apprehensive.

Hey that you slickplant?

I have a special spark bucket for you.

You see nmdamselfly sparks are perfectly normal inside a fire box.

If you disable that agitator you will be faced with possible ash buildup and drop chute backup which leads to really bad things happening.

Yes, please don't disconnect the agitator. The sparks are from it stirring up the fly-ash. The burn pot is designed to have the agitator clean it out every so often. So disabling it is going to cause problems. Also, it's no big deal to have pellets burning in the ash pan every once in a while. The ash pan is part of the firebox, it's designed to be able to......have fire in it.:cool:

Also, if you change the stove to "premium" fuel mode, the agitator will only cycle on for 1 minute every 30 minutes, thus fewer sparks. Most of us M55 owners prefer premium mode as there is really no need to have the agitator turning so often in the other modes.

okay if you say so. I seem to have a nice level of flame on setting No. 2. I keep getting up to watch to ensure that no burning embers have fallen into the ash pan and ot make sure all is contained, thanks to all in the forum I'm trusting the product a bit more now. I'm used to fire places and used to wood stoves, but being my first pellet stove, I'm a bit apprehensive.

Watch the videos Jtakeman posted the link too.. good video on flame quality..

http://www.enviro.com/warrantyClaim...ow_video&video=M55-Weekly-Cleaning-Part-1.flv

Status
Not open for further replies.