Firebox deception

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
After scouring numerous posts on a stove I have been interested in I see some people say the 4.4 cu ft space in a buck 91/94 is really only 3.0 cu ft useable. Is this common for companies to do. If so how does the "useable" space compare to say the 3.x cu ft boxes on the osburn 2400 or kuma sequoia compare? I will pass on the bucks price tag in favor for a more realistic firebox number. Any help appreciated as always considering bk princess to with all it's praise figure it's worth a look but I have a lot of volume to heat so need a big output

Last edited:
Reactions: sticks
I wish I could see all the stoves in person it's really hard to take the time to look and measure I'll look into link

I wish I could see all the stoves in person it's really hard to take the time to look and measure I'll look into link

When I was thinking about the Princess and other stoves I'd pm members who had the stove I was interested in listed in their sig and ask them to measure the firebox for me. Some even took pictures along with measuring, a lot of great members here willing to help.

After scouring numerous posts on a stove I have been interested in I see some people say the 4.4 cu ft space in a buck 91/94 is really only 3.0 cu ft useable. Is this common for companies to do. If so how does the "useable" space compare to say the 3.x cu ft boxes on the osburn 2400 or kuma sequoia compare? I will pass on the bucks price tag in favor for a more realistic firebox number. Any help appreciated as always considering bk princess to with all it's praise figure it's worth a look but I have a lot of volume to heat so need a big output
If you want to put 3 armloads in at a time check out a BK King..can hold like 80 lbs of your favorite wood!

Will do also considering free standing but I do not think my hearth comes out far enough? What are some large rear vent freestanding a to consider?

Gotta be an insert sorry I do like the king tho
Sorry bout that i should have picked that up from the Model Buck you were referring to.
Good luck in your search but I think that Buck is one of the biggest..i dunno. Cheers!

I can speak for the Osburn 2400 insert. It is listed 3.2 cf firebox and I think the useable space is actually a bit more.

Thw BK Princess insert has a smaller 2.54 cf firebox. There are some BK publications that call it 2.85 but that number refers to the free standing unit only. Insert is slightly smaller.

So osburn 2400 is telling the truth! I like it and the price! What's your opinion on a smaller hearth mount vs larger insert as far as heating capability?

The Progress Hybrid is a great heater that rear vents. What's the height of your fireplace opening? That will help eliminate some stoves.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I can only tell you that having a 3+ cf insert has worked out awesome for us. It is a heating beast. I heat 1700 sf. We did some significant improvements in insulation, but the first couple years the Osburn kept us very warm despite the house losing lots of heat. 3+ cf can hold coals for 15+ hours. Not significant heat, but hold coals.

I love the equinox 8000 but price is huge. For the heat we require I'm trying to find out if I can do a free stander on our Heath . Would having a stove all the way to the edge of a hearth be ok? Or is there a way to make an insert stick even further out from a fireplace to take advantage of extra radiant heating? Anyone ever apply roxul to the inside of a fireplace to shield from heating the masonry brick? Good lord when I got into wanting to get a new stove and a liner I never knew I would become so torn

Status
Not open for further replies.