Q&A Firebox lining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Now for the question: I have 'inherited' an old Comfort stove that is designed for coal (one of the old, tall cylindrical designs with a fluted fire chamber), and I wish to use coal in it, perhaps alternating with wood since Maryland winters are not particularly harsh. I have completely disassembled it and am in the process of cleaning it. Overall, aside from a light coating of rust, it is in very good condition with no cracks, but the fire chamber has a rather nasty case of rust rot: in no place has it rusted completely through, but it probably will not be too long before this happens, and I cannot afford to purchase a brand new stove.

Since the fire chamber is quite large, would it be possible/prudent/ safe to pour and mold, say, a 3/8-1/2" liner of refractory cement to line the inside of the fire chamber and increase the stove's operating life? Or should I give up and look into the cost of getting a new bottom section cast (or scrapping the idea altogether and hope to be able to afford a new stove in a few years)? Also, could a coating of refractory cement be good for the top of the grate, as long as it does not interfere with the air flow and covers no holes?

Answer:

Yes, the ideas you have would help to extend to life of the firebox. Castable refractory cement can take very high temperature...even higher than iron or steel. There are many coal stoves which were made of thin sheet metal - but the lining kept them around for decades.

You might be able to find replacement parts at https://www.hearth.com/partsplace.html

Status
Not open for further replies.