firebox made of block lined with firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maurice

Jul 12, 2008
Central Indiana
If I build an outdoor firebox with concrete block and line it with firebrick, is there anything I need to be aware of? Do I use normal concrete blocks? I assume the firebrick is mortared on with the thin side against the block?

(Setting aside the frost-heave for the moment,) Wouldn't the firebrick protect the blocks? What temp is too much for the blocks? Aren't blocks used to construct a fireplace (either indoor or out)?

I wouldn't dick around with cinder blocks for a fire pit...they always break. Just get yourself a bud rim or 10x20 truck rim throw it on the ground or better yet elevate it on a $10 log holder from Lowe's for real high flames from a small fire...you can move it any where you want...put you feet up on it. 2 minutes...DONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.