Firebox Repair Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobean

Dec 9, 2016
NJ
Just a quick question requiring my firebox. I had a secondary inspection done on my fireplace after purchasing our home this summer, and our inspector told us we would need our firebox rebuilt due to the deterioration of the firebrick. The quote came back at $1200, which I understand, it's a lot of masonry work.

My question to you guys (because I didn't think about going this route at the time the inspector was there), is do I need to have the firebox rebuilt if I plan on putting in a wood burning insert? I've always been aware that traditional fireplaces aren't very efficient when it comes to heating a home, so I'm thinking it might be a good way to kill two birds with one stone if I can just do the insert without the firebox rebuild.

I've attached pics to give you an idea of the shape the firebox is currently in.

Side-note, I haven't, and will not have a fire in there until it is either fixed, or I have the insert in. Im new to the fireplace world, but I know that doesn't look safe enough to have an open fire in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_1845.JPG IMG_1846.JPG IMG_1847.JPG IMG_1848.JPG IMG_1849.JPG

If you put an insert in there then there's no reason to repair that fireback.

No, you don't need to repair the firebox if the only fire will be inside of the insert. If the intent is to burn in the fireplace for a while before installing an insert then yes, it should be repaired.

Well, what stove are you getting? ;)

I'm sure I'll posting back here soon enough asking for peoples input on that next.

Actually, why not start now? The company I plan on getting a quote from offers inserts from these 5 companies. Out of this bunch are there any that are stand outs? Any I should steer clear of?

Pacific Energy - Lopi - Osborn - Morso - Fireplacextrordinair

As for usage and design, I'd like it to be as flush as possible, so I'm assuming I'll want one with a quiet blower. The fireplace is located on the first floor in the living room. And this will mostly be a secondary heating source for a 2 story 2000 sq foot home. It would be nice if it helped more evenly distribute the heat downstairs, which currently has a mismatched amount of hot water baseboard radiators. The kitchen will be freezing while the living room is scorching. The one radiator for the kitchen area (also furthest from the thermostat) just isn't cutting it. But I would love it if it allowed me to cut down on the usage of the electric baseboard that's on the second floor where the bedrooms are located.

Thanks.

I'd cross off the Morso, too small. Add Hearthstone Clydesdale to the list instead.

How open is the living room to the other areas in the house? It might also be a good idea to boost the hw radiation in the kitchen.

Is the fireplace large enough to accommodate a large insert?

Check out the Blaze king line.

I am in NJ as well and we get some brutal cold in winter as well as possible long shoulder seasons. Shoulder seasons means the times before and after winter where it's cold enough for your heat to come on but not run like in the dead of winter. A BK insert has the ability to be turned down nice and low so you can run the stove in October or April and not make the house 85 degrees.

Even if your chimney is intact and up to code the installation requirements of the insert may require an insulated liner at a minimum cost of about $1500 in addition to the cost of the insert.

I'd cross off the Morso, too small. Add Hearthstone Clydesdale to the list instead.

How open is the living room to the other areas in the house? It might also be a good idea to boost the hw radiation in the kitchen.

Is the fireplace large enough to accommodate a large insert?

Great, thanks for the input.

I've attached a quick sketch up of the layout of the first floor. The kitchen is really tucked away on its own, so it might be a pipe dream to think that heat from a fireplace on the other side of the house will reach over there.

And yes, I believe its large enough to fit most large inserts (from the quick measurements and online specs I've seen so far).

Attachments

• RoomSketcher Level Image.jpg
    RoomSketcher Level Image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 107
Even if your chimney is intact and up to code the installation requirements of the insert may require an insulated liner at a minimum cost of about $1500 in addition to the cost of the insert.
Good to know, thanks. Can I count on the installer to know if this will be needed or not?

Check out the Blaze king line.

I am in NJ as well and we get some brutal cold in winter as well as possible long shoulder seasons. Shoulder seasons means the times before and after winter where it's cold enough for your heat to come on but not run like in the dead of winter. A BK insert has the ability to be turned down nice and low so you can run the stove in October or April and not make the house 85 degrees.

Thanks, in my short amount of research so far, Blazeking has come up a lot. Added to the list.

Good to know, thanks. Can I count on the installer to know if this will be needed or not?
Thanks, in my short amount of research so far, Blazeking has come up a lot. Added to the list.

You can ask, but you might want to inform yourself as to the local requirements, if applicable, and the requirements of your insurance company, if applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.