Firebrick Alternatives?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
The house we are about to move into has a
woodstove that has several of the firebricks
cracked & I would like to replace them.
Called the local retailer of the stove line &
he was less than helpful.
Are there any other alternative sources out there
for replacement firebrick? (Mfr. replacements tend
to be a bit pricey)

Thanks,
Rob

ACE Hardware sells a box of six Rutland fire bricks for $19.49. If the ACE local store hasn't got them in stock you can order them on acehardware.com and pick them up at the local store in a few days. Or pay shipping and have them delivered to your house.

but, make shure your replacing bricks of the same material. If its pumice, those are not so easy to find.

MountainStoveGuy said:
but, make shure your replacing bricks of the same material. If its pumice, those are not so easy to find.

No problem. Buy a ticket to Hawaii. Take along a little pickaxe and take the volcano tour.

I am getting real curious about all of these cracked firebricks we hear about. I have been tossing logs on top of the same set of fire bricks for twenty-one years and when I cleaned the stove this year still not a one cracked. Those EPA puppies must be fire brick eaters.

Or they use pumice bricks.

BB, the pumice ones are fragile. The bonus is that there a better insulator, but the downside is that the disengrate much faster then ceramic. You have to be gental with pumice briks.

as i've been reading these posts on here about replacing cracked firebrick, i have to wonder why??? what is ya'lls thought process that such brick must be replaced?? even in industrial boilers and powerplants unless bricks are deteriorating, simply cracked brick is NOT replaced. it is really not necessary.

berlin said:
as i've been reading these posts on here about replacing cracked firebrick, i have to wonder why??? what is ya'lls thought process that such brick must be replaced?? even in industrial boilers and powerplants unless bricks are deteriorating, simply cracked brick is NOT replaced. it is really not necessary.

In the case of the ones lining the sides of the stove, I would guess because the damn things won't stand up and line the sides of the stove if they are broken.

Rob this what I would try first, I would use refractory cenent and apply it to both surfaces or the crack. I would then use a clamp
and apply enough pressuer to hold them in place overnight then re install them back into the stove.

When I cleaned out the beast I replaced the crumbling firebrick with new ones that the PO left for me.
They matched the bricks along the side of the firebox but weren't as thick as the bricks that line the bottom, some of which were cracked. Since they were intact (not crumbling) I put them back.

**edit** can you tell which ones are cracked?

Attachments

• newbricks.JPG
    newbricks.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 429
  • door1.JPG
    door1.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 404
elkimmeg said:
Rob this what I would try first, I would use refractory cenent and apply it to both surfaces or the crack. I would then use a clamp
and apply enough pressuer to hold them in place overnight then re install them back into the stove.

Right on Elk. A four buck tub of refractory cement will nail them together just fine. That is some tough stuff. In fact I have heard of people making their own firebricks out of it.

BrotherBart said:
elkimmeg said:

Right on Elk. A four buck tub of refractory cement will nail them together just fine. That is some tough stuff. In fact I have heard of people making their own firebricks out of it.
A $100.oo saddle on a $10.oo horse ?

Roospike said:
BrotherBart said:
elkimmeg said:

A $100.oo saddle on a $10.oo horse ?

Seen more than one ten dollar horse take my money at the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.