Q&A Firebrick colour in Napoleon stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi! I bought a Napoleon 1900 woodburning stove last January, and I have been enjoying it very much. However, this year I noticed that after my 1st fire some of the firebricks high up on the walls of the stove have started to turn very light pink...why is that? I had my chimney cleaned before that 1st fire, the wood is very well seasoned (I bought it already seasoned last January, and have been storing it in the garage), and my stove top thermometer indicated temperatures of 400-550 F for most of the burn...any ideas? Oh, and I only use black & white newspaper to get the kindling going.

Answer:

There are many different formulas for creating firebrick...so I wouldn't worry at all about the tops turning pink. This area of the firebrick probably got hotter than many areas of the stove, so certain reactions may have taken place.

One of the reasons for firebrick is to protect the steel of the stove against high temperatures...yours is doing that. Replace the firebricks when they actually crack and fall apart. Hairline cracks are OK, as is discoloring.

Status
Not open for further replies.