1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Firebrick in a Majestic Thulman wood fireplace

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by dan9960, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan9960

dan9960 New Member

I have a Majestic Thulman Model No. L36A wood fireplace. The firebrick is cracked in numerous places and they go all the way through. I'm thinking I have to replace the firebrick. The house I live in was built in 1960 and I'm guessing the fireplace might be around that old. I've called CFMCorp and they don't carry part numbers for my model number anymore. The firebrick on the back is 2" deep and I can only find firebrick that is 1" deep. The sides of the fireplace have metal inserts that appear to hold up the back firebrick. In the picture I removed the left metal insert.
    Can I just fill in the cracks with refractory mortar or do I have to replace all the firebrick? If I have to replace it, can I use the 1" firebrick and double it up? Is that safe? Any help or other options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Honestly in a unit that old I would seriously consider replacement. However if you want to repair it and try to use it refractory cement in those cracks will work. What shape is the chimney in? Most of those Thulman fireplaces had the sheet metal chase painted to look like brick. A sheet metal "flue tile" extended from the chase and was the cap. It had some baffles riveted in that would direct the water onto the chase top where it would drain. 9 out of 10 of these that I run into are rusted out.
  3. dan9960

dan9960 New Member

The chimney is still in good shape. It is as you described it, a sheet metal chase painted to look like brick. It doesn't appear to be rusted. I'll keep an eye on it though. I'm going to use the refractory cement for now and look into getting it replaced. I'm guessing it isn't cheap! Thanks for the advice.
  4. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Sounds like your the 1 in 10. If it's in good shape then keep an eye on it as you use it. Replacing a ZC is a little expensive as there is the obvious finish work that needs to be done. If you want another Zero Clearance fireplace then actual unit cost can be as little as 350.00. Though if you want to use the unit for heating then you need to step up to an EPA rated ZC which will cost a few thousand. If your in a warm part of the country and want the occasional mood setting fire than a ZC is right up your alley. If you live in a colder region though and are expecting heat from a ZC then you might be a little disappointed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.